Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hklogue Posts: 3, Reputation: 2

Oct 3, 2011, 12:35 PM
    Girlfriend, Cancer, College, Long-distance relationship, Advice?
    My girlfriend of 5 months now has been having a hard time dealing with her mother being diagnosed with a brain tumor, which was very cancerous. And I have left for college. We love each other and we both want this relationship to work. I talk to her 24/7 since I left. She has become very frustrated because she says she can never talk to me. Is it because I always ask questions, ask how she's doing or how her mom is? What should I do to be the one she can depend on? I really want to help her through this hard time. I need advice. Please, anything
    TrueFaith Posts: 1,202, Reputation: 313
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2011, 01:21 PM
    There are no words that you can say that make her depend on you
    Your actions will do this

Just be supportive and listen to her
    Also try and change the topic a bit she lives with the thought of her moms cancer all day
    Maybe when she rings you up she can put it behind her for a bit.
    Talk to her about something funny that you saw or plan about the next time you want to see

This is not going to be an easy road but if you work together
    You will work pass this

All the best
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 03:55 PM
    Don't let her frustrations become yours, as she is merely telling you the distance is hard right now.

I think you do more listening than talking because 5 months wasn't enough time to prepare for the distance, AND deal with a very sick mom.

Stay cool, and be understanding when she is at her wits end. Let her vent, when she needs to. You are still learning each other, so pay attention.
    DaniCalifornia Posts: 655, Reputation: 152

Oct 3, 2011, 03:58 PM
    Oh sweetheart.

I can relate to the poor woman. When I was in college, my dad had a cancerous brain tumor that kept coming back. I was the only one there for him, and it was difficult to deal with as he's the most important person in the world to me, and I had nobody else myself.

So I can only give you advice based on how I felt in my situation. Let her know you're there for her. Make sure that when you are together, you're not doing anything depressing. Take her out on a romantic night out so she gets a healthy balance of caring for her mother, and having fun too. Above all, make sure she feels she can depend on you. She may need to, and it's these struggles that strengthen peoples relationships.

And buy her mother a nice bunch of flowers.

X Dani
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Oct 3, 2011, 04:18 PM
    You are right Dani, a gesture of caring and support out of the blue would be a nice touch.

Oct 3, 2011, 04:33 PM
    Thank you everyone so much! And yes about a week ago I sent her 100 flowers. This advice is really helping. And when I'm with her I always try to make her smile and I'm usually successful. But every now and then she just hugs me and I know I need to be quiet and comfort her. Again, thank you everyone so much!

Oct 3, 2011, 04:43 PM
    Well it sounds like you're doing a good job. You're welcome!

X Dani
    JoeCanada76 Posts: 6,669, Reputation: 1707
    Uber Member

Oct 3, 2011, 05:04 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by hklogue View Post
    My girlfriend of 5 months now has been having a hard time dealing with her mother being diagnosed with a brain tumor, which was very cancerous. And I have left for college. We love each other and we both want this relationship to work. I talk to her 24/7 since I left. She has become very frustrated because she says she can never talk to me. Is it because I always ask questions, ask how she's doing or how her mom is? What should I do to be the one she can depend on? I really want to help her through this hard time. I need advice. Please, anything
    The problem is you said you talk to her 24/7. So that sounds to me you never give her any space at all. Which is not a good thing in a relationship. Everybody needs their own personal space. Instead of doing all the talking, maybe you should stop talking. Maybe you should let her do the talking. Maybe you should be quiet and let her be the one to engage in conversation if she wants. You know what. Long distance is difficult. Also you need to understand that She will have a lot to deal with her mother having cancer. There is a lot to work through. 5 months is not really a long relationship. It might be hard to sustain. The harder you try, the more you hold on tight. The more you push her away.

Makes sense?
    mmresd Posts: 2,002, Reputation: 553
    Ultra Member

Oct 3, 2011, 05:08 PM
    No one should depend on anyone at all! Dependency is not something good, it is something that creates a very nasty habit. Let her deal with her own things on her own, and you deal with the things you need to deal with on your own. Things will be easier without anyone being anyone's emotional crutch, you will only hurt the relationship that way. The best help you can be is the one SHE asks for, not the one you THINK she needs and wants.

Oct 3, 2011, 05:14 PM
    The problem is if I stop talking to her she thinks I don't care about her when I really do. Im going to try it again but I doubt that's what she wants. But I don't know, maybe it will work. Doubt it though

Oct 4, 2011, 04:04 AM
    Hey again!

What the experts are saying is to make sure you don't constantly pester her, making it obvious you don't know what to do to show you're there for her, as it can suffocate her as she's already feeling stressed.

But certainly don't stop talking to her at all! I would have hated the feeling that my partner didn't understand what I was going through and that I needed him there.

X Dani

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Girlfriend of 1 year (Long Distance Relationship) Bails on Visit [ 8 Answers ]

I will try to sum this up as short and quickly as possible. My girlfriend and I have been going out for 1 year. We are in a long distance relationship. I live in Boston and she lives in San Francisco. We are both 17. She went to my school last year and we dated for 3 months before she moved. There...

College relationship Long Distance Break [ 7 Answers ]

I have recently gone to a college that is 2 hours away from my girlfriend. We just met before college but have never clicked and felt this way about each other before. We tried the long distance thing but it was too hard. I know I love her a lot and she feels the same so we decided to take a...

College Long Distance [ 12 Answers ]

In 9th grade, I was a awkward teen boy trying to find himself and I saw this beautiful girl, who I crushed on immediately and was too shy to approach her. By the end of the year I still have not approach this girl and unfortunately that summer I was transfer to another school. My senior year,...

Ex girlfriend causing severe depression.( Long distance relationship) [ 6 Answers ]

Hello, I know many of you will read this and think its ridiculous for me to feel this way... but here goes. So in April of 2007 I went on a cruise, I was 17 years old. A few days into the cruise I met this beautiful girl at the front of the ship. She was out there alone. I walked by and I just kept...

View more questions Search