Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jrebel7 Posts: 1,255, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 05:04 AM
    Thank you for your direction. Let's see if this works before I go any further! :)
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 05:10 AM
    Well, seems my computer skills leave a lot to be desired. I will get back on here sometime and try to do better.
    firmbeliever Posts: 2,919, Reputation: 463
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 05:13 AM
    WOW!
    You are good.

Love the egg, beautiful...

And the feline,wow, I think the tree it is on is fantastic.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 06:07 AM
    Thank you Firmbeliever for your nice comments. Great way to start my day!

I thought I had also attached an image of a gourd vase. I will try that one later.

I was in the woods one day and came upon a Cougar or it came upon me, I should say. It was gorgeous. We were eye to eye for a few brief moments. It is one of those moments you just want to encapsulate in your mind and never lose.
    blackrasengan009 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 7, 2007, 06:15 AM
    Comment on Jesushelper76's post
    It not really show me what it was
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 06:18 AM
    I thought I would try one more time before getting on with my day, to attach one of the images of a gourd vase I made. I resized it a little differently than the Cougar and Egg.
    Attached Images

Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 06:23 AM
    JR,
    You must explain how this gourd vase was made...
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Oct 7, 2007, 06:26 AM
    And how'd you get the colors to feather/blend. Beautiful!
    bushg Posts: 3,433, Reputation: 596
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Jrebel, There is a female artist in Kentucky that works with gourds, the seeds came fom her grandpa when she was younger. Are you her? Not many people work with gourds that I am aware of. The egg and cougar are beautiful as well.
    Firm thank you for starting this thread it is so nice to see peoples talent and I also liked the sites/artist that chek mentioned in one of her post. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    Jrebel, There is a female artist in Kentucky that works with gourds, the seeds came fom her grandpa when she was younger. Are you her? Not many people work with gourds that I am aware of. The egg and cougar are beautiful as well.
    Firm thank you for starting this thread it is so nice to see peoples talent and I also liked the sites/artist that chek mentioned in one of her post. :)
    I am glad I started this thread too and happy to know you and others are enjoying it as much I am.:p
    I like to see other people's art work.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    JR,
    You must explain how this gourd vase was made....
    While you can purchase gourds that have been harvested and dried already, I grow my own, sometimes dipper gourds and sometimes birdhouse gourds. "Warmth", the photo of the red with black gourd I posted is a dipper gourd with a large part of the dipper handle cut off. After the gourds grow and mature, the stems will turn brown and that is when they are ready to be cut. They then have to dry completely which takes several weeks to months. I made the mistake of hanging them in my garage the first time and by the time they were dried, each were covered in a lovely coat of fuzzy mold (LOL) which then had to be scrubbed with a solution of hot soapy water and a little bleach. LOL I have cut them and left them outside since then. They turn color but do not mold. I still scrub them before beginning to work with them but it is not as difficult as getting the mold off. Once cleaned I decide the design and begin cutting with a dremel tool. Inside the gourd is a thick fibrous material and many seeds. I remove all I possibly can and then again using the dremel took, I remove the lining which is fibrous down to the outside shell of the gourd to refine the piece for a clean line look. I use acrylic paint. After painting the gourd, I finish with a coat of Polycrylic clear gloss finish. I use inside and out in case I want to use water for a flower but I wouldn't trust it not to leak if water was kept in it for long periods. I sometimes use sand to weight the vase and use dried flowers or pieces resembling wheat, etc. (Polyurethane will yellow acrylics but I use it if using stains or oil base paints). I tend to be an A to Z person so forgive if I go into too much detail. I will post another gourd I have done showing the use of not only paint but wood burning tool if you would enjoy seeing that. While the gourds are craft more than art, they give me a good feeling when I work with them because they are nature made. My grandfather used dipper gourds on his farm to dip water and grain. Anytime I can create something fun from anything in nature, it gives me a feeling of gratitude and of peace. Seems everything we really need is already in existence through nature!
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainRich
    And how'd you get the colors to feather/blend. Beautiful!

Thank you for your question! I use a "fan" shaped brush made of sable and get just a little paint on the tips. I then use only the short side of the fan then push and pull up as I make the stroke. I hope that answered your inquiry. :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:54 AM
    WOW JR,
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Next time I find a beautifully shaped gourd, I am going to try this out...

Will it work with pumpkins too?(I have seen some beautifully shaped pumpkins).
    And another thing,can I dry them after scooping the insides?
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 10:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by bushg
    No, I am not the Kentucky artist! I wish I had seeds from my grandfather's gourds. What a treasure that would be. Thank you for your kind words.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 11:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by firmbeliever
    WOW JR,
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Next time I find a beautifully shaped gourd, I am going to try this out....

Will it work with pumpkins too?(I have seen some beautifully shaped pumpkins).
    And another thing,can I dry them after scooping the insides?
    Pumpkins, although in the same family I believe, cannot be done the same way. The outside textures are different. Also, I haven't tried to cut the gourds first before drying but I believe they would shrink at the opening while in the drying process which might make for an interesting look. I can share only from my experience and have not tried this. If you try it, let me know how it does for you. I am always open to new ideas!! :) I know I was not able to fully answer your questions with first hand knowledge but remember, I am a dabbler!! I work with one project then on to another. I am always happy to share what I know from experience, however, anytime!!
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 11:17 AM
    I will try it out and let you know JR.
    I too dabble in a lot of things... ".jack of "many" trades and master of none";).

And I have tried vegetable carving too,but do not have any samples.The veggies are good for table décor for one day and either eat them or throw them.
    Been a while since I tried them though.

I agree with you JR,
    Nature has so many beautiful inspirations and materials available for us to create from.:)
    N0help4u Posts: 19,823, Reputation: 2035
    Uber Member

Oct 7, 2007, 11:33 AM
    MySpace
    Rose

http://www.sapphiresart.50megs.com/photo2.html

MySpace most of my art

Go ahead use my art (with my signature) but if you make substantial (over $100.00) money on it send some my way :)
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 11:39 AM
    I would encourage you to always take photos of any work you do. I use to decorate cakes. If I had not taken photos, I would not be able to relive the memory of the happy moments of those creations as easily. I have seen some photos of vegetable art and am amazed at the creativity it takes. I take my hat off to you. I don't believe I would be able to do that.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 11:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by N0help4u
    MySpace
    rose

http://www.sapphiresart.50megs.com/photo2.html

MySpace most of my art

Go ahead use my art (with my signature) but if you make substantial money on it send some my way :)
    I am not in myspace,:( I could not see your work.

The saphiresart link has beautiful work, are they all yours?
    I got to go for now,but I will look at my leisure and let you know which are my favourites:)

EDIT:::I read the poem "Boxes of Paradoxes", it is a beautiful piece.Did you write that?

JR,
    There must be pics somewhere,but there are loads of photos at my mums and I would not know where it is now.
    Ultra Member

Oct 7, 2007, 01:31 PM
    I just finished viewing all the questions and answers with art work. I am just blown away by all the talent. Each one is as unique as the individual who created each piece. I am just in awe. Seeing all of your work just inspires me! I love it!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Need the name of the artist [ 1 Answers ]

Who sings the song and/or the name of the song with the lyrics "tell me if you want me to"

Name of artist [ 1 Answers ]

its goes something like: it was me and you i thought we could nananana. something like that. HELP!:confused:

Where can an artist go... [ 1 Answers ]

Where can an artist go to interact with other musicians online? My girlfriend is an amazing singer/songwriter who also plays acoustic guitar but doesn't really know where she can find band members, etc. I was hoping that someone on here may know. She's got an amazing voice and can really put some...

Name the artist [ 2 Answers ]

I have just downloaded,f**k it(dont want you back) by eamon. I want to know the full name of his ex misses and the songs title she produced in reply to the above.

Need artist name [ 4 Answers ]

The song's name is Angel Its kind of a remake of madonna's It's a dance/electronica version

View more questions Search