Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Mbrowne Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 11, 2008, 09:51 AM
    Sewer Gas Escaping into the House
    Home is approximately 6 years old, slab floor, two full baths connected to a septic system. Whenever, throughout the day, a sink drain has not been used in a few hours and you open a faucet to wash or get a drink of water, as the water starts to run down the drain if you are washing your face and have your face over the sink you get a hint of sewer gas that is emitted up through the drain pipe. This happens in each of the two bathrooms and in the utility sink in the laundry room and since the kitchen sink is used the most often, however this occurs rarely but at times a sewer odor is noticed here also. The venting for each of the p-traps is through the flat one story roof. This has occurred since I purchased the residence and the contractor and plumber and the inspection folks all indicate that the system was assembled according to code and this shouldn't occur - but it does. Any suggestions as to how to eliminate the small blast of odor?
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jun 11, 2008, 12:06 PM
    Your vent may be installed correctly but it sounds to me it is blocked. A block vent can easily cause the traps to siphon when water drains through them. Witout the proper level of water in the trap your have a direct pipeway to your septic tank. Rod the vent from the roof with enough snake to reach roof to slab plus 25' more.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Sewer run - different slopes - new house [ 1 Answers ]

We are installing a 120 foot run of sewer line down a hill and aross a creek into the city sewer system. The city have provided a connection and we have installed a cast iron pipe on top of concrete pillars to go across the creek into the city connection with a 1/4" per foot slope into the sewer. ...

Sewer gas is in house [ 2 Answers ]

I have a sewer gas issue that will not go away. It is particualrly strong on one side of my house... the side of my septic tank. The tank is not full or at least is not acting full... Temp outside has been in the neagtives. Smell is strong when toilets are flushed... seems to go to basement and...

Sewer Smell in House [ 1 Answers ]

My house smells like sewer. It is only 13 years old. The smell comes and goes, usaully when it is ver cold outside, or very warm outside. It disipates at night and reappears in the morning when the first toilet gets flushed. Please help I

House smells like sewer.really bad [ 1 Answers ]

The house has begun to smell like a sewer. I have a septic tank. It got really bad when the temp outside went below zero. The smell goes away at night and comes back in the morning as soon as the showers get going and toilets get flushed. I run from drain to drain and to toilets... I have 4 in...

Sewer smell in house [ 2 Answers ]

I get a sewer smell in my house. I had a hole in my cast iron vent stack and replaced it. I still get the smell. There is definitely odor problems at the sewre drain in the basement. Strangely, the problem is worst when it rains or is very humid. My house was built in the 50's and it looks...

View more questions Search