Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    princ3 Posts: 26, Reputation: 1

Apr 8, 2014, 01:10 PM
    Mind reading devices??
    Could you be implanted covertly with carbon nanotube electrodes or some kind of EcoG electrodes inside your brain for mapping your brain activity covertly till you live your ordinary life and translating your recorded patterns via BCI connecting the neuroimaging results from covert scaning with video tapes of your daily action and all that leading to real mind reading that has a power to revealing your deepest thoughts. And all this stuff without your permission and knowledge, covertly done by some agency or powrfull evil institution or genius?

I expect that the answer would be probably NO, but I need scientific explanation of the physical and technical problems and limitations of current most advanced tehnologies wich prevent our brains from this undesirable experience and our privacy?

The question is important for me because I have a sister. She is a kind of paranoid about this scenario and I try to help her explaining in scientific way why her fears are groundless but my knowledge about a problem is still insufficient. So I need your support.

Thank you !
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Apr 8, 2014, 01:31 PM
    In short, NO.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 8, 2014, 01:33 PM
    Science is working on mind reading, for people who can't speak. But not with implants. Your sister probably isn't a person of interest for any nefarious individuals out there.
    People who believe this is happening rarely if ever accept rational explanations, however. If it is ruining her daily life, she needs to see a psychiatrist.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2014, 01:42 PM
    In a movie... yes... in the real world... not a chance. Not in this day and age. Who knows if it will ever be possible or not in the future.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Apr 8, 2014, 02:54 PM
    I have been involved with a few people who suffer from this type of dissolution and it is normally psychiatric. Some have been diagnosed with schizphrenia; they cannot be convinced of anything other then what they believe is happening in their lives. Get her tested and diagnosed before she sends herself around the bend; one test should be if her thyroid is out of balance causing her to think that things are not as they seem.

Your question should not be how to solve her problem with brain implants, but getting her seen by some good doctors.

I say from experience that you will NEVER be able to convince her with a scientific explanation why this is happening to her.
    current pert

Apr 8, 2014, 03:15 PM
    Sorry folks but it really is possible, according to the MIT Magazine, which I used to get years ago. They are not inclined to make stuff up. I'm not saying they are there yet, but they were testing it on people who were immobilized and unable to speak.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 8, 2014, 03:17 PM
    I have to agree with Tickle here. This is a common delusion in the minds of people with schizophrenia. Please help her get properly diagnosed and treated. Until then she won't believe any proof you give, scientific or not.
    current pert

Apr 8, 2014, 03:25 PM
    I said that too. But he asked (under Science) if it is possible.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 8, 2014, 03:41 PM
    I don't consider the very basic stuff like left, right or yes or no type stuff as being mind reading. Its about as far from it as comparing a bottle rocket to the saturn 5 rocket

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Why is the Voltage Reading at 240 Volt Outlet Reading 590 Volts? [ 6 Answers ]

I just purchased at home built in 1922. It is obvious there has been some modifications to the electrical system. The only permitted change was upgrading it to a 200 Amp service. In trying to figure out the circuits I noted there were 4-240Volt breakers, three a 20 Amps and one at 30 Amps. All...

Catch to Mind Reading? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm writing a book where a girl has mind reading powers and the ability to move things with her mind, but I need a catch to it. PLEASE HELP

Am I reading his mind or am I losing mine [ 3 Answers ]

There is this guy that I haven't seen or had any contact with for nearly 3 years. In January this year I got this overwhelming feeling through mu gut feeling and my chest. It felt like my heart was going to pop out! I knew it had something to do with him and it lasted about an hour and a giot...

Mind reading game [ 2 Answers ]

Didn't know if I should put it under fortune telling or humor.Lowchens of Australia ~ Mindreader! How do they do this????

Mind Reading [ 17 Answers ]

I've noticed MANY posts recently where the woman expects her guy to be able to read her mind. This is impossible. AND really. Really unhealthy. Ladies - guys have no clue what you're thinking - ever. You need to tell them on a daily basis how you feel. AND you have to do this so you feel...

View more questions Search