Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    holly_penyo Posts: 81, Reputation: 11

May 1, 2008, 09:24 AM
    Will my lemon tree ever produce lemons?
    I have a 1.5-2 year old lemon tree that has a lot of thorns. I have been told that it will never produce any lemons since it is covered with thorns. Is this true, or will it eventually grow out of this thorn stage and start giving lemons? Thank you!!
    WallyHelps Posts: 1,018, Reputation: 136
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 11:24 AM
    I'll be interested in any answer to this too!

I have a lemon tree that I grew from a seed at least 20 years ago. It is in a pot and is outside only May-October. It has flowered (in the winter months), but never produced lemons (yet).

Best of luck with your tree!
    WallyH
    simoneaugie Posts: 2,490, Reputation: 438
    Ultra Member

May 1, 2008, 11:56 AM
    I spoke with someone who grew up growing lemons. He said that your tree is probably a Meyer's lemon and they do have thorns. They also make fruit that is delicious. Given the right conditions for blooming and fruiting, you can have lemons from this tree.
    Kenner82 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2011, 03:31 PM
    We just moved into a house with a huge lemon tree outside of it - it has both thorns and mature fruit on it, and while I can't figure out what variety of lemon it is, it's apparent that thorns do not mean you won't have fruit. In fact, from all the reading I've done, many citrus trees have thorns on them.
    tropicwalker Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 25, 2012, 04:03 AM
    Many citrus trees do have thorns on them and they have no bearing on the trees likelihood of producing fruit.
    Citrus trees have certain requirements for optimal fruit production, here are a few. Best grown in temps no less then 50° and need long periods of sunlight 8 hours or more. The like sandy well drained soil, deep waterings and should never be grown in boggy soil nor should the soil be allowed to dry out.. so the right amount of watering is very important. And even though citrus is self pollinating.. Planting another near by increases the chance of pollination immensely.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Lemon Tree [ 1 Answers ]

Cannot figure out why our lemon tree gets a lot of blooms .Blooms fall off and little lemons appear and they get brown and fall off. Tree looks healthy. If we are lucky get maybe less than a dozen of nice looking lemons a year. Tree is about 10 years old.A real mystery as we think we do ever the...

My 12' healthy ficus tree is dying.How do I save my tree? [ 0 Answers ]

My Ficus tree were plant in my garden on a slopne for about a year. It doing very well. All the sudden the last two week couple of branches with the leafs start curling, turning yellow or brown and then fall off the branch. I cut of those two branches, now another branch, the leafs start doing the...

How to get rid of tree roots after you cut the tree [ 1 Answers ]

We cut down some mesquite trees a few months ago. We would like to know how we could get the stumps to rot away. They are cut ground level. Do you have any suggestions.

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree? [ 1 Answers ]

I have ivy growing up a tree. Will this injure the tree?

Lemon Tree! [ 2 Answers ]

Can I grow Lemon Tree in my Garden from the seeds of daily Use kitchen Lemons... Any special Precautions to be taken? Tk's in Advance.

View more questions Search