Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SheilaR Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Feb 21, 2007, 07:38 AM
    Past SOL expiration cc debt
    Good Morning,

My question has to do with SOL expired credit card debt. I have not received anything in the mail (have had a few states of residence), only phone call messages. There is never anyone on the other end when I answer, they are just leaving messages every day.

1) Is it likely or possible that the company that bought the cc debt will attempt to file suite even though the SOL has expired?

2) Does the court require the collector to prove SOL expiration before continuing the paper work for a suit?

3) If they do get a suite filed past SOL expiration and since there are a few states of residence involved, how would I know if a suit was filed and where it was filed before the bank account gets frozen?

Would appreciate your expertise - Thank you
    CaptainForest Posts: 3,645, Reputation: 393
    Ultra Member

Feb 21, 2007, 03:50 PM
    The court doesn't make them prove the SOL is valid when the file.

Your defence would be that the SOL has expired, and therefore will win your court case.

Feb 21, 2007, 04:45 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptainForest
    The court doesn’t make them prove the SOL is valid when the file.

Your defence would be that the SOL has expired, and therefore will win your court case.

Thank you CaptainForest, would you be able to elaborate on Question #3 please
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 04:48 AM
    Hello Sheila:

Before you get sued, they'll serve you with a summons and complaint. It will tell you which court the case was filed in.

excon

Feb 22, 2007, 06:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by excon
    Hello Sheila:

Before you get sued, they'll serve you with a summons and complaint. It will tell you which court the case was filed in.

excon

Thanks, but can someone please read my question #3 and give me an answer?
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 06:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SheilaR
    how would I know if a suit was filed and where it was filed before the bank account gets frozen?
    Hello again Sheila:

I thought I did answer your question.

excon
    If a suit was filed you will be served with some documents. The address of the court will be on those documents.

I don't know how else to answer your question.

excon

Feb 22, 2007, 06:43 AM
    Hello again Sheila:

I thought I did answer your question.

If a suit was filed you will be served with some documents. The address of the court will be on those documents.

I don’t know how else to answer your question.

excon

Thanks Excon! My question #3 elaborated as:
    I have had a few residence addresses (different states) and should they file suit to the courts of one of the states I do not live at anylonger, how will I know suit was filed? Will I be surprised one day and try to draw out funds and the account will be frozen?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 22, 2007, 07:30 AM
    The creditor has to exercise due diligence in serving you with notice of a suit. If they haven't then that is ground for vacating a judgement. However, it is possible that they can meet due diligence and you still wouldn't be informed. In which case a default judgement might be entered. It might pay to monitor your credit reports as such a judgement would probably be listed.
    Uber Member

Feb 22, 2007, 07:52 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by SheilaR
    I have had a few residence addresses (different states) and should they file suit to the courts of one of the states I do not live at anylonger, how will I know suit was filed?
    Hello again, Shiela:

Ok... We live in a very mobile society. If you're trying to hide, depending on how successful you are, you certainly may be surprised at your bank one day. The due diligence Scott speaks of includes a good faith effort on their part at locating you. If they can't (and they have to show the judge they tried), then they can serve you by publication, and you wouldn't know about it.

If, however, you're NOT trying to hide, and you've left forwarding addresses, and your accounts are current (insurance, drivers license, bank, etc), they'll find you.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Loans past SOL [ 4 Answers ]

Hello,I live in Ontario,Canada. I had a couple of loans years back that I couldn't pay at the time.The last payments I made were in 1995.The last couple of years I have rebuilt my credit to a good standing. Recently I have had phone calls from a collection agency on one and calls from a company...

Expiration of Probation [ 10 Answers ]

My nephew is currently in prison for violation of probation. He's serving 3 years and gets out in March. He is now saying that he shouldn't have been arresed for violation since his probation expired on 9/24/04 and he was violated on 10/31/04. Is this even possible? He was arresed on 11/30/04...

SoL Debt Collection in Ontario [ 2 Answers ]

I just had (Sprint Canada) call me stating that I have an outstanding debt from a residence I lived in about 7 years ago (1999). They told me that (Rogers) had bought out Sprint and that this was their last attempt to collect this debt. I asked them to send me proof of my debt with them, but...

Sol [ 5 Answers ]

What is the sol on debt in Oklahoma?

View more questions Search