Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kalabadal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 20, 2005, 04:24 PM
    Measuring Electrcal Current
    Why the voltage of an electrcal current is awys measured in multiple of eleven
    wzartv Posts: 402, Reputation: 21

Jul 20, 2005, 06:31 PM
    Wow... this so cool... I've wondered this like forever... it seems like just the US does that because I'm pretty sure any of the other countries (that use alternating current anyway) don't do that...

Another question: what voltages do other countries use?
    labman Posts: 10,580, Reputation: 551
    Uber Member

Jul 20, 2005, 07:22 PM
    You mean like 110, 220, and 440? My guess is that it is just what George Westinghouse happened to use. Maybe when a transformer form had all the windings that would fit on it, that was the voltage it produced, and they stuck with it. Much of today's electricity has crept up a little. Check your outlets, and you may find it closer to 120. The factory I once managed mostly ran on 480. Our incoming voltage was another common voltage, 4160. I have no idea where that come from. Thermostats usually run on 24-25 volts.

I think England and much of Europe uses, would you believe, 220.

Jul 20, 2005, 08:03 PM
    Wow OK... thank I've really been wondering that... I know our voltage here at the studio is about 119V AC... I didn't really realize that europe uses 220... thanks for the info
    kalabadal Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 21, 2005, 10:41 AM
    Still awaiting reply to me question>We in India use 220 V for donmestic current,11Kv and 440 V for Industrai current .132 KV to 33 KV for transmission line

Jul 21, 2005, 10:49 AM
    Like labman said:

You mean like 110, 220, and 440? My guess is that it is just what George Westinghouse happened to use. Maybe when a transformer form had all the windings that would fit on it, that was the voltage it produced, and they stuck with it.
    That sounds like a good explanation to me... Good luck.
    caibuadday Posts: 460, Reputation: 10

Sep 17, 2005, 05:21 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wzartv
    Like labman said:

That sounds like a good explanation to me... Good luck.
    it may say 120 220 440.. and the utility companies are permit to supply up to 10% different
    Press2Esc Posts: 251, Reputation: 10

Nov 8, 2005, 12:53 PM
    Sorry, 208 VAC is a common voltage provided to industrial/commercial facilities... also, as I recall, US voltages used to be officially listed as 117VAC.

P2E

Quote Originally Posted by kalabadal
    Why the voltage of an electrcal current is awys measured in multiple of eleven

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Current Ratio [ 1 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm’s current ratio? 1. A customer prepays in full for specially ordered merchandise that it will take 60 days to manufacture. 2. Inventory is sold at the firm’s normal 35% markup cost.

Affects on current ratio [ 1 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm's current ratio? 1. inventory is sold 2. the firm takes out a bank loan to pay its suppliers 3. a customer pays its overdue bill 4. the firm uses cash to purchase additional inventories.

Firm's current ratio [ 2 Answers ]

How would the following actions affect a firm's current ratio? 1. Inventory is sold. 2. The firm takes out a bank loan to pay its suppliers. 3. A customer pays its overdue bills. 4. The firm uses cash to purchase additional inventories Thank you

Current Bird Flu [ 3 Answers ]

Hello friend ,I am jora .At this time I am living in Asia but I heard that bird flu infection is very fast spread in that country. But I don’t have more information about bird flu. Please anyone tell me about bird flu and how to prevent flu infection.

Current electricity [ 1 Answers ]

Why metal conduct electricity rather than a wood?THANK YOU!

View more questions Search