Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2015, 11:04 AM
    Constant Calls by Telemarketers
    I used to troubleshoot a lot on this site in the past, 1 Thing that keep me Overloaded, and no extra time is with Telemarketers. I'm on the Do Not Call List. Not working, Pretty much useless. The FTC offered an Award of $50000 to any one to stop these calls, 2 people were awarded, seems to have gotten worse. The FTC, if they want to HELP, Then have the option to be placed on DoNotCall forever, and you always have the option later in life and you get bored and need some Abuse, then Ask to be put on the CallMe(and Harass me List). The site could be called Callme.gov. Harassment should not be the default. I could complain to the FTC, But my complaint would be 1 in millions. I called Verizon and ATT(Have Both) they both say they have no way of Knowing where the calls are coming from? Are they stupid or Liars(or figure air time is good for them) They also have No ability to know where Spoofed numbers are coming from?Oh, The FTC gave Google and Honorable Mention. Don't know why, Half of the calls are from them(Google). Wanting to Verify me/my business(everytime it has already has been verified). So quit calling, Google.I would fine people who spoof.(we would have Surplus, Not a Deposit) I feel my options are: 1)get rid of my phones. And receive no business. 2)become a Preacher, or Politian, as I believe they may be immune to the constant calls. If no on can track or Trace Spoofed calls, I think we are all screwed.Personally I think all above is wasted breath. Any Solutions, would be greatly appreciated.I have about 600 Contacts that are from Telemarketers, Verizon can only block 5?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2015, 12:11 PM
    Start pretending you are a Jehovah Witness and preach to them when they call. Ask them if they can help you with the hemorrhoids your poor dog has, or talk with them about the experience you had meeting Sasquatch at your local Walmart. or about the voices that are always talking to you in your head. Just think of the most outlandish thing you can think of and start rambling off to them non-stop. Don't give them a chance to get a word in edgewise.

Hey its your time... make them listen to you instead of vice verse. Maybe even start laughing hysterically when they call and you pick it up. Ask them if they like farting under the covers... you don't have to get mean... pick stupid stuff you can laugh about.

When I get those calls claiming to be from the IRS or Microsoft... (usually with an Indian accent) I ask then if its really works when they smear poo all over their children so other people leave them alone... and if it kept them from being molested as small children... about 30 seconds before I hang the phone up.

That way when I do it its with a grin instead of a scowl on my face.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 3, 2015, 01:04 PM
    I used to play it off as "Thanks, I'm not interested" and if they kept up, I would tell them I'm hanging up and then just do it. Well, with caller ID, I can see that this approach only works at the moment and they are then calling me again either within a day or a week depending on who they are.

I switched tactics...

ME "What's up?"
    THEM "Uh...Mr Odinn7?"
    ME "Yeah...hey, what's going on?"
    THEM "Uh...well, you see I am so and so from so and so and..."
    ME "Yeah, if I wanted/needed/was interested in your sh*t I would be calling you."

This has actually worked pretty well for many of them so far and I will continue to see how long it goes for.
    The Do Not Call list is bs. Nobody follows that because nobody is scared of getting caught. So many of these people just keep changing numbers and move on. I can't imagine anything big really even happens to them if they do get caught.
    Uber Member

Apr 6, 2015, 05:53 AM
    Got an App. Looks like it may work so long as I keep adding their newly Spoofed Numbers, They have Given Me Torretts, its triggered when they call. I tell them what they can do with their Dog, and other not so nice things. I also tell them they reached a Pedophile Hotline, and to state the Nature of their Offence, and we will Send an Officer right over. Although they cut the call short. They may keep My number to test new Employees, To see if they can REALLY handle Tough Callers?
    For Now, App is working. Too bad The Telco Companies couldn't tell me how, They saw No way to make the extra dollar. Plus the unwanted callers add air time(Maybe they are doing it, or subbing out to companies, to increase Air Time?)
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 6, 2015, 07:08 AM
    I have heard that they keep a record of how long you stayed on the line, and sort that way. The higher the number, the more chances of being called again.
    I don't pick up the phone unless it's a name/number I recognize, for the most part.

PS: HI! You were the person who helped me here when I first stumbled upon AMHD to ask about wiring!
    And now that I am a solid block of ice in my dotage, I see that you live in the Keys. I also see that it's expensive beyond belief there, so I'm looking for a tiny place on the mainland.
    Uber Member

Apr 7, 2015, 08:39 AM
    Blacklist Plus was the app that I thought would work, doesn't.
    The problem is is does block silently if not on the phone,'

If you are on a call, and a blocked call comes in, it hangs up on the call in progress?
    Not Good.

Thanks joypulv, I have Customers From all over the Country, I have to answer, in case it is Important, Then I can Block, Need to find another App.
    Homestead is at the Bottom of the Mainland, Some Nice Areas and the Keys are close. Good Luck, Hope all has been well. Take Care
    Uber Member

May 14, 2015, 06:44 AM
    Besides the National DoNotCall list, I added Numbers to the Florida DoNotCall site. Still flooded with crap. What did the 2 guys who received the $50,000 FTC Award do? DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE WORKING. Any Lawyers out there want to make a LOt of Money on these Illegal Calls, Contact me. I can give you cases all day long.
    Uber Member

Jun 3, 2015, 07:06 AM
    Why do Lawyers help Child Molesters get off. But have a tough time with Honest Problems?
    Make it Illegal or a Crime to Harass People, Fine them, Would be Enough Money to eliminate the Deposit? Simple Math. Who allows this to be Legal? Lawyers?
    Uber Member

Aug 20, 2015, 09:00 AM
    I Provide 24 Hour Emergency Service for Fire and Security Systems, Only Local Fire Contractor, Have to Stop 24 hour service do too unwanted calls, Solicitors. Any Police, Firefighters out there have problems with constant calls disrupting your work compromising Your Job, your Focus, Efficiency?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

In order to ensure constant pressure and constant flow rate of compressed air what s [ 3 Answers ]

In order to ensure constant pressure and constant flow rate of compressed air what should we put between the compressor and end user?

Pedophile Telemarketers won't Talk when an Adult Answers? [ 4 Answers ]

I get tired of these telemarketers continuously calling me and everyone else according to the spam sites. I just got 1 from Digitcom Services Inc. I use to think it may be Cell companies jumping up call usuage(using your time and minutes). They said if I don't want their special offer to press 1...

A babysitter gets weird phone calls when she calls the police they tell her to get ou [ 2 Answers ]

I think I saw this in the early to mid 90s when a babysitter gets a weird phone calls she calls the police they call her back and tell her to get out of the house because the calls are coming from inside the home and when they finally show the killer he's is painted into the wall made to look like...

Telemarketers - that was easy. [ 15 Answers ]

I got a call today from a telemarketer and he said that "My phone number was randomly selected and I won a free shopping spree and gas. I for get the amounts. I said "I don't believe you" He said "OK" and hung up That was easy.

How to deal with telemarketers [ 1 Answers ]

I just StumbledUpon this and thought it was very funny. You'll need your speakers turned on. Enjoy! warning. dongs. :p

View more questions Search