Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    biggsie Posts: 1,267, Reputation: 125
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:35 AM
    The file does not have a program associated with it
    I am trying to do something very simple -- and will use Google for example

I right click on desktop -- click NEW -- click SHORTCUT -- and PASTE -- Google

In Create Shortcut location... Click NEXT and Name Shortcut... I have a Google shortcut

On the Desktop.. I click it and it opens Google in a new browser -- not working

The file does not have a program associated with it for performing this action

Create an association in the Folder Options control panel. (I get this error message)

The hyper link association does not work -- any ideas how to fix it ?
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:39 AM
    In Windows Explorer do Tools > Folder Options > File Types tab; scroll down and see if there is anyhting associated with the type "URL".
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 06:57 PM
    Folder Options control panel is in Control Panel

URL is listed as one of the file types so I

Do not have the answer to my question

I still need an answer --- Thank You
    DaBaAd Posts: 271, Reputation: 36

Dec 12, 2007, 07:41 PM
    I created the shortcut on my desktop by entering an internet address of "www.google.com" and then named it Google.

Windows saved it correctly and the shortcut properties associated this shortcut to a URL.

It launches just fine.

Windows XPSP2

By the way, my default browser is Firefox but I don't think this has anything to do with it. What default browser do you use?
    Ultra Member

Dec 12, 2007, 08:17 PM
    I am using Windoze 2000 -- and Internet Explorer 6

This used to work fine on this desktop

I clicked a shortcut and it opened

A window at the URL I pasted in it

The association doesn't work now

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What Media Program will read an ISO file straight from a PC [ 7 Answers ]

What I really need is a Media Player that will play a .ISO file (A DVD Movie) straight from my PC. I am going to IRAQ and want to take some movies with me over there. Vice taking the Hard DVD's. Anyone have any idea?

How do I correct file listings in a program code? [ 1 Answers ]

I created a web site on webeasy and I uploaded it But only the first page came up I asked for support but at webeasy they told me they do not offer coding support. I tried to change the titles of the other pages to 002.htm etc.. But it did not work. How do I get into this program code and...

Finding the file extension that a Program uses [ 8 Answers ]

Not having any luck with Google on this one. The question: What file extension does a database file created by Avanquest's Database Professional have? I know about FILExt - The File Extension Source for searching by file extension, but does anyone know of a search tool to search by software...

How to unistall a program with a missing file [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all,I have a problem with me PC,I am trying to uninstall a program and when I try from the Control Panel a window shows up telling me that I can't because there is a file missing in the program,what can I do? Thanks

View more questions Search