Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jan 24, 2014, 09:08 AM
    Install hanging microwave on furring strip wall
    I am considering installing an over the range microwave. The microwaves I'm looking at are between 60 - 70 lbs. My concern is that the wall that I would be installing the unit on is made of furring strips, and that the unit might be too heavy.There are already 3 cabinets on this wall where I would be placing the microwave, 2 fulls on either side of the range and one half above the range. I wanted to see if people thought this would be too much weight and see if anyone had any recommendations. Any answers/suggestions are appreciated, thanks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 24, 2014, 09:30 AM
    Please explain a furring strip wall?
    As long as there are studs behind the furring (do you mean old plaster and lath by any chance? or paneling with furring in places?) you can attach your microwave. You just need longer fasteners.
    lost?? Posts: 234, Reputation: 7

Jan 24, 2014, 09:53 AM
    Thanks for your response.

I live in a twin house. The wall I am talking about is the wall that is shared with my neighbor. The support for the wall, the furring strips (1x3x8's if I remember correctly), are attached directly to the block wall that separates our two homes. The drywall is attached directly to the furring strips. My concern is that since the wall isn't framed out as a normal wall would be, it may not be strong enough to hold the weight of the cabinets plus the microwave and the furring strips would pull out of the block.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 24, 2014, 11:16 AM
    When you mount a microwave on a wall you first secure a steel plate that comes with the microwave. That plate has instructions and how and where to place screws. You would mostlikely use a masonary screw that would go into the block.
    ma0641 Posts: 15,675, Reputation: 1012
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2014, 03:27 PM
    You may need to use a toggle bolt on the mounting plate. It would go into the cell space on the block and through the furring strip. You can also screw a piece of 1/2 plywood to the furring and then screw into that with the mounting plate. Remember, much of the weight is borne by the cabinet above, not the wall.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Religion hanging pictures on the wall [ 13 Answers ]

I read exodus chapter 20 verse1-5. Are we as people suppose 2 have pic on the wall. What about the last supper pic? It tries 2 show us a image of jesus ?

What is a furring strip [ 6 Answers ]

I would like to redo my basement walls. All but one wall has very ugly "knotty" looking paneling and one wall is brick with a fireplace. Can I put drywall over the paneling and the brick? And how far away do I need to keep the drywall from the fireplace.? Please help!

What are furring strips and how would I install. . [ 7 Answers ]

What are furring strips and how would I install? I am drywalling the upper brick wall portion of my working fireplace) so it can be painted and flat screen TV can be hung. Oh yeah it's going to look nice as soon as you help me out so I actually know what I'm doing is right... thanks in advance.

Hanging rug on concrete wall [ 2 Answers ]

How can I hang a rug on my outside patio concrete wall. It's an outdoor rug and since it's so pretty I decided to hag it on my patio wall instead of lying it on the floor. It's 2'7''x4'11''.

How to run lines on furring strip block wall. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. What materials do you use to run new lines, (new construction) on a block wall that will be furred out? For example, how do you secure the lines, what size boxes, etc. Will be running a few outlets and swiches. Will I have overfill violations by going box to box? They will have to...

View more questions Search