Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rawrieatedyou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 03:56 PM
    Can I choose where I live?
    So, I've lived with my grandparents my whole 14.5 years of being alive. I see my mom and stepdad every weekend, always have. But now I'm getting older, and I need my parents in my life more now than ever. My grandparents are approaching 60 years old, and have a lot of health problems but they say I don't get to choose.. But there's no Grandparent's rights in Ohio (where we live) as far as I know... Do I get to choose?
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 04:04 PM
    Who has legal custody of you? Why aren't you living with your mother?
    rawrieatedyou Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

May 16, 2012, 04:15 PM
    My grandparents do. My mom was really young when she had me (She's only 30 now.. ) and didn't know how to take care of a child so my grandparents took me. They don't see my mother fit. Well, my grandma does. My grandpa, does not.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 04:31 PM
    If your grandparents have legal custody of you then you have to stay with them. You don't get to "choose" who you live with, the court does.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

May 16, 2012, 05:21 PM
    You do not ever "get to choose" you have to live with the person who has legal custody of you.

And I am sorry wow they are almost 60 ? Guess what I when I turn 60 my SON will be 15.
    60 is not over the hill and there is no reason they can not raise you. Sounds like you are not being very thankful to the people who took care of you and raised you with others did not.

Is mom and dad trying to get you to come to them ?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

May 16, 2012, 06:01 PM
    No you don't get to choose. The decision is made by a judge. However, if your mom wants to go to court to petition for a change in custody, then, at your age, the judge will probably talk to your and listen to your preference.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

At 16 in Oregon can I choose who I want to live with [ 5 Answers ]

I am 16 and I live in Oregon. My dad has custody of me and I don't want to live with him. I want to live with my mom. My dad tells me I don't have the right to choose then my mom tells me that I do. My dad doesn't hit me or anything like that. He yells and has threatened to hit me but never has. I...

Can I choose Where I want to live? [ 2 Answers ]

My father left me when I was 4. I am 15 now. He wants to try and get custody of me. But my grandparents have custody. Is it lawful for him to be able to get custody? Do I have a say so at all? A few months ago he wrote me a letter that scared me half to death. I don't want to live with him, but...

Can I choose were I want to live at 16? [ 16 Answers ]

:( :confused: Am I old enough to choose to live with my father at the age of 16? I don't get along with my mother, and my father listins to me and gets me. Is their anything I can do without going to cort? Like am I old enough to leave home? Please help!:(

How old do you have to be to choose which parent you want to live with?I'm [ 2 Answers ]

I'm 16 ill be 17 in June. My parents are still together just rarely speak. And I was wonderning how old does the child have to be to choose which parent can have full custody of him/her. I want to live with my dad because my mom doesn't support me in what I do in any way. And I want my dad to have...

View more questions Search