Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Aronel74 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2010, 09:37 AM
    What is a furring strip
    I would like to redo my basement walls. All but one wall has very ugly "knotty" looking paneling and one wall is brick with a fireplace. Can I put drywall over the paneling and the brick? And how far away do I need to keep the drywall from the fireplace.? Please help!
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 14, 2010, 06:04 PM

Do not install drywall over paneling, its easily removed. You need to see and tell us what is behind the paneling. Furring strips are thin 1x2 wood boards nailed to a surface so you can nail another surface like paneling on top, not a good way to build a drywall surface.
    alnishtra Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 16, 2010, 11:50 AM

My garage is closed in but the cement brick walls aren't . I was thinking of furring the wall and insulation with styrofoam panels. What type of finish woul be the best. I live in fla. And my walls don't sweat. It just keeps the room from getting comfortable temperature wise.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Mar 16, 2010, 06:15 PM

Florida is a big state, is it really hot and humid in the summer like much of the state? I'd use green board, only a few $$ more than drywall but water resistant.
    carpenter-t Posts: 88, Reputation: 19

Mar 17, 2010, 05:21 PM

I don't see why you could'nt drywall over the paneling.all conbustibles should be 2 inches from a chimney and I want to say 18 inches from the fire box.cant check right now but I will get back to you.
    kasper37 Posts: 27, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2010, 02:03 PM

furring strip are pieces of 1x2 wood that are use to install drywall that do not required insulation.. If you are going to put insulation on the walls you need to use 2x4s..
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Apr 3, 2010, 05:13 AM

There are several types of insulation that works with 1 X 2's(7/8" thick).
    Spray on, Foil and Styrofoam are 3 types.
    Leaving the Paneling is fuel for Bugs and fire.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Furring strips vs walls [ 2 Answers ]

I am remodeling my basement and have cement block walls. The walls are in OK shape, the floor is uneven in places. The room is about 10 degrees warmer in winter and cooler in summer than the rest of the house. I am trying to decide if I should use furring strips to attach my drywall to or build...

What are furring strips and how would I install. . [ 7 Answers ]

What are furring strips and how would I install? I am drywalling the upper brick wall portion of my working fireplace) so it can be painted and flat screen TV can be hung. Oh yeah it's going to look nice as soon as you help me out so I actually know what I'm doing is right... thanks in advance.

Heat strip only gets a little hot on top strip on the bottom it will not get red [ 1 Answers ]

Luxaire heat strip will only get warm on top strip around 70 bottom will not get anything. If you switch the wires, the bottom is warm top has nothing.

How to run lines on furring strip block wall. [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there. What materials do you use to run new lines, (new construction) on a block wall that will be furred out? For example, how do you secure the lines, what size boxes, etc. Will be running a few outlets and swiches. Will I have overfill violations by going box to box? They will have to...

Furring walls with epoxy [ 1 Answers ]

I have read several times that fastening furring strips (treated 2x4s) to concrete foundation walls with tapcons or shot driven nails may result in cracks and later leaks. Does anyone have a tried and true method of attaching furring to the foundation wall with some sort of epoxy instead?

View more questions Search