Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jwilliamso Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 30, 2006, 02:20 PM
    Shower pan leaking ?
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I am a first-time home owner and I'm not sure who to call about a leak in my shower. I'm pretty sure it is the shower pan that is leaking. Do I call a plumber first? Or a contracter? I'm confused.
    Please help.
    Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 30, 2006, 03:03 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jwilliamso
    This may sound like a dumb question, but I am a first-time home owner and I'm not sure who to call about a leak in my shower. I'm pretty sure it is the shower pan that is leaking. Do I call a plumber first? Or a contracter? I'm confused.
    Please help.
    Thanks.
    The first thing you must do is to determine what the leak is and where it's coming from, a drain or a leak in the grout. Please give me more details.
    Where does the water come out? From around the base or out of the ceiling? What type of shower? Custom tile or manufactured base and enclosure? Give me all the details that you can, no matter how small. Thanks, Tom
    jwilliamso Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2006, 06:40 AM
    O.k. I'm not acutally seeing any water, but where the baseboard and the floor meet, right by the shower, it is damp and it looks a little moldy.
    The shower is custom tile. Thanks.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Aug 31, 2006, 07:45 AM
    Let's localize the leak. Drainage or a tile grout leak. Remove the strainer fro9m the drain. (Put the screws in a safe place). Now jam a wet rag in the drain to seal it off, or you can place a balloon in the drain blow it uo and tie it off for a stopper. Fill the base with a inch or so of water and let set over night. If fresh moisture is observed in the morning then your drain's leaking and you'll need a plumber. If no moisture is seen then the tile grout is leaking where the shower stream hits it and a tile man is needed. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Leaking shower faucet [ 3 Answers ]

I have a leaking shower faucet and tried to take faucet apart to change the o-ring but was not able to takeout more than a cover for the screw and the screw that was under it. I have not located the ORING CAN any one please help. I have a symmons Temptrol brand.:confused: You need to replace...

Shower pan leaking [ 7 Answers ]

Hi, Our shower pan has failed for the second time. We thought the detailed construction this second time would prevent a repeat of the failure. It has not: The Shower was built over 2x4 studs, cement slab, concrete backboard (over 1 foot tall) nailed to studs. A rubberized sheet (unknown...

Shower leaking (shower drain pipe?) [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I will apologize up front for my lack of knowledge in plumbing... but I know enough that I believe that I can fix this problem without having to add on the expense of calling a plumber. I noticed that there were a lot of ants coming into our bathroom. After laying traps and having no...

Shower stall leaking [ 2 Answers ]

Seems to be leaking at front by door. Do all shower stalls need concrete it seems to have give in the floor at this time has nothing under shower base what to do?

Leaking Shower [ 4 Answers ]

My upstairs shower drain leaks such that if I use it, water comes out of a can light in my living room. The shower base is a mustee. The drain is molded into the base and the pipe was held in by a rubber doughnut (compression fit). Not being able to find a new doughnut at the home depot and...

View more questions Search