Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nkrikorian Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jun 5, 2006, 09:03 AM
    Gfci popping now?
    OK I have a fridge and a freezer in basement plugged into an outlet that's connected to a 20 amp gfci receptacle in the garage wired to a 15 amp breaker in fuse panel. It's been this way for 15 years without problem..
    Now gfci pops. I unplugged the freezer (about 5 years old) and everything works fine. I ran an extension cord for freezer to a different outlet on a 20 amp breaker and it runs fine. I unplugged fridge from outlet and tried to put the freezer alone on outlet and it pops gfci. I replaced gfci with new 20 amp gfci and replaced outlet and still no help. Only other thing on this circuit I can see is 2 lightbulbs in garage overhead next to door openers.
    Maybe a loose ground wire in one of those light sockets I'm thinking.
    Anybody have any other ideas? And yes I know the 20 amp circuit going into the 15 amp breaker is not a great idea but I just replaced what was there.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 5, 2006, 03:49 PM
    This is why refrigeration is not required by any code to be on Ground Fault devices.

All refrigeration units are susceptible to producing fault currents, just a normal event with the compressors.

But very important that the regular receptacle be grounded properly, as should every outlet in a building.

Only all other general purpose receptacles in basements, utility rooms, and garages need to be GFI.

Those not for equipment, such as furnaces, sump pumps, and garage door openers , and refrigerators and lights never need to be GFI protected.

Jun 6, 2006, 04:22 AM
    So should I add 2 new outlets each on it's own 15 amp breaker without any gfci in between and call it a day?
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jun 6, 2006, 06:50 AM
    Yes if the outlets are for the appliances.

Jun 6, 2006, 06:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell
    Yes if the outlets are for the appliances.
    Got it, thanks!
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

May 15, 2007, 10:29 AM
    I would use #12 and 20 amp breakers(one for frige and one for freezer).
    If recpticle is near panel or you can get wires to panel,Break tab off hot side of recpticle,
    Connect Black to top half, Red(or another black?)to bottom half, Install breakers next to each other and verify on opposite phase.
    I do this in kitchens, so coffee maker, Fryer,any or all can be used without fear of overloading or tripping breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

A/c popping main breaker [ 4 Answers ]

We purchased a reconditioned unit to replace an older unit in a mobile home. The unit worked in the shop where we purchased it. We hooked up the 2 110V lines and then turned on the thermostat to cool. Immediately following, the main 100 amp breaker popped. We then disconnected the thermostat wires...

Circuit breaker popping [ 4 Answers ]

We just got a new refrigerator and the circuit braker for the air conditioning keeps popping. We live in Central FL by Daytona and it is really hot right now but we can't keep the air running. Help!!

Sump Pump popping [ 1 Answers ]

We just bought a new house and the sump pump and or lines make strong popping bang every time we use the washer and it's draining or we are using several drains, the contractor says its normal I don't think so. Any ideas? It has been doing it seen we moved in ( a month)

Gfci breaker popping [ 8 Answers ]

After installing a second outdoor fan, I tied into an existing fan under an enclosed porch.I decided it would be smart to install a gfci breaker to protect them (vs the standard breaker). The circuit is tied into my kitchen an outdoor spot lights. With all the individual light circuits either...

View more questions Search