Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    canoe99 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 18, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Partial power outages
    My power went out in the laundry room appliances, oven, microwave, TV and digital cable box, and bathroom lights, but everything else works fine? What is wrong?
    fored Posts: 26, Reputation: -2

Aug 18, 2008, 11:23 PM
    Hello, A possible problem I've seen a couple of times before was when ""GIF" or Ground Fault Interrupter circuits are extended to more rooms / areas from 1 GIF than they should be. If you have GFI's especially in an outlet where an appliance is not working reset it. If an older house make sure you have located all fuse boxes & Circuit boxes. I've seen houses with 3 fuse boxes and 2 circuit boxes scattered through the home. Replace fuses or fusetrons and reset any tripped breakers. If this doesn't help or you don't quite know what I mean reply. There could be other causes but 1st things 1st. Good Luck
    fored Posts: 26, Reputation: -2

Aug 18, 2008, 11:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by canoe99
    My power went out in the laundry room appliances, oven, microwave, tv and digital cable box, and bathroom lights, but everything else works fine?? What is wrong??
    I was re reading your question and you mentioned appliances. If the electric oven dryer or range is out(As well as smaller things) I suspect that one of your big breakers is tripped or one of the main tube (Old style ) 100 amp fuses (Or whatever) is blown. You can't tell by looking at these old fuses if they are blown you need a volt ohm tester. If however by appliances you mean 110 volt appliances it could be a gfi. Or fuse or circuit breaker.
    Stratmando Posts: 11,188, Reputation: 508
    Uber Member

Aug 19, 2008, 06:36 AM
    Like mentioned above, if the Dryer and other 240 volt appliances don't work, then you may have lost a hot leg, could be half of breaker tripped or lost from power company.
    I would measure out of disconnect for 240 volts, or try resetting the Main Breaker.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Partial Power Outage [ 6 Answers ]

An amazing (to me) thing happened at our house yesterday. About mid morning, we started to notice several of our lights were out. Also, the stove had no power, but the fridge did. 3 of my GFCI circuits could not 'test' or reset at all indicative of no power. Several circuits were fine others...

Partial power outage [ 1 Answers ]

Last night before bed I thought I was turning off the surge protector to my TV/DVD/HD Cable Box (which was humming and running warm since I got it 2 weeks ago). When I hit the button - the displays went off and I thought all was well and went to bed. This morning when I got up and went to turn on...

Partial power outage [ 3 Answers ]

At Any Given Time The Power Will Go Out Only In The Living Room (outlets, Fans, Lights Etc.) And Also A Couple Of The Outlets In The Kitchen That Include The Refrigerator, Stove And 2 Add'l Outlets, All Others Work. Also The Ac Goes Out. The Rest Of The House Works. We Have A Devise That...

Losing Partial Power to house. [ 4 Answers ]

I keep losing power to several rooms, appliances in my house. The power goes out, doesn't trip any breakers, then in 1-2 hours, it comes back on. It seems to be several circuits effected, not just one, but I'm at a loss as to what might be causing this. I have tested the power coming into the...

Temp Power Outages and Surages [ 1 Answers ]

In the last year I have been having the lights in my 5 year old home flickering with the occasional outage for a few seconds. Just recently one room in the house surged while at the same time another room went out. Again this lasted about a second or two. I had our power provider come out and...

View more questions Search