Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teyalesa Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 7, 2010, 08:12 AM
    What do I do about slander in the work place?
    The operations manager at my job is going around tell people that he is going to savatage my job. His problem with me started over two years ago when I caught him cheating on his wife. Now I catch him lying to the boss man and hiding important documents he knows that I know and that if he doesn't et it together I will report it. I work for a really big company and we sell franchises. Some of our franchisees have told me that I need to watch my back because the way he talks about me is scary. I don't think I should have to just suck it up and deal with it. My other problem is the employee who told me about my operation managers plans well his job is now on the line along with mine for slander, But nothing is going to happen to the operations manager for starting it and being the one to tell over twenty people. What should I do?
    Devorameira Posts: 2,461, Reputation: 981
    Ultra Member

Dec 7, 2010, 03:08 PM

You definitely need to document every activity and make the Human Resources Department aware of everything.
    I wish Posts: 5,296, Reputation: 2030
    Family & People Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 07:23 PM

I've heard enough, it's definitely time to report him to HR. Let them follow up with his inappropriate behavior.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Dec 7, 2010, 07:41 PM

I would start also getting my resume ready and perhaps even start looking.

And next what do you want to do, challenge him to HR and your evidence and hope he is not more powerful ?
    dontknownuthin Posts: 2,910, Reputation: 751
    Ultra Member

Dec 9, 2010, 04:21 PM

In addition to the other suggestions I'd also suggest that you ask those who told you about this to report their observations to the company directly at a level above the people who are involved. You could also go to a superior who is not involved but make it about the company and not about you. For example, "well, I'm in a weird situation that I had hoped would just go away but unfortunately it hasn't. Several franchise holders have reported to me that Joe has stated that he is going to do all he can to undermine my performance, that there are documents he doesn't have to produce to the company, and (whatever other remarks he's been reported to make). I can't confirm this because I wasn't there, but since it was reported by multiple people I felt you needed to know given that this kind of comment, if he's made it, or these kinds of actions, if he plans to carry them out, are bad for the company. I'll handle it however you like - I don't want problems with anyone and don't mind some friendly competition, but at the end of the day, we should at least give the appearance that we support and respect one another to our franchise holders." Be prepared that they may not ever follow up with you, and it could backfire so weigh whether it's worth it. If you can't give specific remarks, when they were said and who said them to you and expect those people to back you up, I would not even address it.
    jules calhoun Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 8, 2012, 11:56 AM
    You should do the same thing I'm trying to do get a lawer
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jul 8, 2012, 01:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jules calhoun View Post
    you should do the same thing im trying to do get a lawer
    This thread is 2 years old and I do not believe - based on your other thread - that you were slandered.

You are going to have difficulty finding an Attorney to represent you, particularly if you are hoping to find an Attorney who will work on contingency (a percentage of the proceeds).

You also have to sue for monetary loss - what are your monetary damages?
    Bubbles2222345 Posts: 138, Reputation: 0

Mar 12, 2013, 07:14 AM
    Report him, do not let this go on. Otherwise he will just think he can get away with it.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Mar 13, 2013, 02:16 PM
    Report him to whom?
    Bubbles2222345 Posts: 138, Reputation: 0

Mar 17, 2013, 06:07 AM
    Report him to his Superior manager?? Thanks.
    vksheilds Posts: 8, Reputation: 1

Mar 22, 2013, 03:50 AM
    There is no reasons to be quit in office for you so do that you have to do

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Family in the work place [ 2 Answers ]

I work in a security company. Due to some closures my grandma and grandpa work at the same site as me for the same company. I was reciently given a supervisor position on the weekends but come to find out that my pain in the butt grandmother doesn't want me being above her. So she picks out the...

Slander at work [ 1 Answers ]

Can I sue someone for slander? And how do I go about it?

Work References and Recommendation Slander [ 8 Answers ]

Hi, first time questioner. Had a question (two parter actually) about work history and recommendations. I was with the same company for over six years (and even got an award of excellence year five), and just the other day I contacted them for a letter of recommendation. They informed me that...

Work place theft [ 7 Answers ]

I am working with a clothing store and in high school, straight A student on honour roll no criminal record and have never been in trouble at school before, recently, my colleagues at work showed me how they make refunds at the till in their bank cards to get money, I was in a situation to help...

View more questions Search