Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    scarlet1927 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 03:49 PM
    Boss says I can quit my job to cash out 401K and get rehired?
    My employer allows people to quit their job for the sole purpose of cashing out their 401K and get the employer and employee contributions; as well as their vacation pay. Once the disbursement is made, they are rehired. All of their benefits are bridged except the 401K the employee has to reapply for this. I know that this is not a smart thing to do but are there any consequences to the 401K plan when you tell employees that you can do this?
    wtfury Posts: 17, Reputation: 1

Aug 23, 2007, 05:08 PM
    Biggest consequence from cashing out a 401k early comes from the IRS... there are penalties and taxes for withdrawing too early. 401k is meant for retirement. Not to take out as you like. Talk to the plan administrator that the plan is through. I've never heard of a company doing this.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Aug 23, 2007, 05:56 PM
    This sounds crazy. There is no need to terminate employment to cash out a 401K. If you cash it out, you will still incur the 10% penalty and the tax liability.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can my boss ask me if I plan on quiting my job? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: :mad: Can my boss ask me if I plan on quiting my job? If so, how should I respond to him. He will ask this question every couple of weeks, because of rumors he will hear. I think it is inappropriate! What should I tell him? Thanks P

Talking to boss about hated changes to job [ 4 Answers ]

Okay... I need advice. How can I tell my boss that I hate my job? I mean HATE it. I loved it when I started, and now I dread going in every day. When I started, I did some data entry, some paperwork, and answered phones, and generally just helped out where needed around the office. Now...

How to quit my job [ 6 Answers ]

Hey guys I need a little help! I've been working at a jewlery store in our mall since August. However, I would like to quit. Although I really do enjoy working there, I think I would be better suited to work at a clothing boutique. How should I put in my two weeks notice without completing ruining...

I quit my job ( had reason) [ 1 Answers ]

I Didn't want to quit my job but I had no choice. Their was a lot of problems all last year. One supervisor was steady on my back. I was steady getting yelled at for no apparent reason. I worked 10 hour shifts as a baker, I always got my job done and my partners job too because he was always late....

Want to quit a job [ 8 Answers ]

Hi. I have a quick question. I started working in a grocery store about 2 months ago. I am also taking 5 college courses during the evening. I work about 30 hours a week, which I think is too much. I am struggling with my courses right now since I do not get much free time to study. The job...

View more questions Search