Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AmyLynn1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jul 28, 2008, 09:09 PM
    Does anyone have fine dining experience?
    I would like to know more about the steps of service regarding this topic
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Jul 28, 2008, 09:28 PM
    Hi, AmyLynn1977!

Are you asking about this because you are thinking of starting a business in the restaurant or catering industry or just want to know what a person does concerning etiquette or other things who is serving the courses of a meal for people at a restaurant or maybe in a home as a caterer?

Just need a little more clarification about that which you are asking here...

Thanks!
    AmyLynn1977 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 4, 2008, 08:24 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Hi, AmyLynn1977!

Are you asking about this because you are thinking of starting a business in the restaurant or catering industry or just want to know what a person does concerning etiquette or other things who is serving the courses of a meal for people at a restaurant or maybe in a home as a caterer?

Just need a little more clarification about that which you are asking here...

Thanks!
    Hi,
    Just want to know what to do, because I was recently hired in a fine dining establishment, and I would like to get the most out of my experience there without making a total fool of myself.

Thank you,
    Amy
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 08:32 PM
    What were you hired to do?
    jjwoodhull Posts: 1,378, Reputation: 239
    Ultra Member

Aug 4, 2008, 08:35 PM
    Some of the basic rules of fine dining are:

-Server from the left with your left hand.
    -Clear from the right with your right hand.
    -When taking the order or serving go clockwise around the table serving women first, then men.
    -Refill water glasses from the right - do not pick up the glass.
    -Do not clear a course until everyone is finished eating.
    -When clearing the table, hold one dirty plate in your left hand, balance the second dirty plate on your left arm. Then with your right hand clear the rest of the table placing the silverware on the plate in your hand and stacking the plates on the plate on your arm.
    -Refold napkins if guests get up from table.
    -When bringing silverware for new courses carry on a lined plate - never in your hand.
    -Always carry drinks on a tray.

That's what I can think of right now. I'll get back to you if I think of anything else.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 4, 2008, 08:42 PM
    Usually there is no loud talking or laughing by staff or patrons. The atmosphere is low-key and pleasant with the muted *tink* *tink* of silverware against china and the sibilant sounds of quiet conversation. If you are a server, smile and be gracious, speak in low but clear tones, and treat the patrons like they are your guests and are dining at your table in your house.
    bugmenot Posts: 40, Reputation: 1
    -

Jul 15, 2009, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Usually there is no loud talking or laughing by staff or patrons. The atmosphere is low-key and pleasant with the muted *tink* *tink* of silverware against china and the sibilant sounds of quiet conversation. If you are a server, smile and be gracious, speak in low but clear tones, and treat the patrons like they are your guests and are dining at your table in your house.
    Ehh.. I work in the best fine dining restaurant in Florida and its not exactly like this. No 2 restaurants are alike. We are four star dining and we have won the 4 diamond award 3 years in a row. Now onto the restaurant. Its not like this at all, in fact the co-workers are very outgoing and we often joke around and do silly things when waiting around. And its not quiet either, there is always music playing, (whatever the GM picks out) the staff is very knowledgeable and doesn't take themselves 100% seriously. In fact when I first started working there I was surprised at how much the servers talk behind the guests back when there within 5-6 feet of them. But despite all of this everyone takes all the proper steps of service and tries to give the best guest experience.

Not every fine dining restaurant is the same.

PS: A couple weeks ago, me a couple co-workers and my manager got down in the middle of the restaurant and started doing pushup and a guest walked in and caught us. It was priceless and hilarious. By far the most laidback fine dining restaurant I've ever worked in.
    bugmenot Posts: 40, Reputation: 1
    -

Jul 15, 2009, 10:40 AM

Oh and were always at sidestations laughing and talking, the key is body language, as long as your not slouching and laying down or whatever the management doesn't really care if you talk and laugh with fellow co-workers. But when the big bosses come in the managers always start kissing and tell people not to gather in the sidestations and to do work.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fine Dining Proper Table Service [ 11 Answers ]

In fine dining, which is the proper way for a server to clear an unneeded plate, when the used utensils from the course aren't placed by the guest on it? A. The server first takes the used utensils from the finished course one by one from the table and places them on the plate to be cleared...

Untreated oak dining table [ 8 Answers ]

I have recently bought an untreated oak dining table and although I like the appearance of it I am concerned that I should treat it someway before use to avoid staining etc. Any advice? :confused:

Leaking dining room ceiling [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, Today, I noticed a splash of water on my dining room's floor. I looked above and noticed the ceiling had a brown colored circular shape, the size of a melon. It was an obvious ceiling leakage. I did some tests and realized the leakage came from the stand up shower. Water only drips when...

Broke tooth while dining out [ 3 Answers ]

I was at a eating establishment (Chapps Cafe) in Fort Worth, Texas off Hulen Blvd. and bit into a burger and broke my tooth also. But I do still have the evidence, it was a bone or some type of rock like substance. I've been getting the run around and also they've been trying to get me to let them...

Dining table surface [ 2 Answers ]

I have a formal dining room wood table with a cherry finish. Something seems to have etched itself into the finish, either a cleaning product my wife used or something else. There are streaks that look like the table was washed with a dirty cloth. Without completely stripping or sanding this...

View more questions Search