Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    LBH Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 22, 2014, 03:46 PM
    Cause of death certificate
    I just received my husbands death certificate and it lists malnutrition as cause 1 and brain cancer as cause 2. My husband was not malnourished. We had gone out to eat on Saturday and he passed away the following Monday morning. Why would the doctor have put malnourished as the primary cause?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jun 22, 2014, 04:21 PM
    Ask the doctor.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Jun 22, 2014, 04:29 PM
    Cancer patients are often malnourished. The chemo treatment, and radiation treatment, makes it almost impossible to eat.

Both my parents died of cancer. My dad lost 60 pounds in one month, with no treatment for his cancer, before he even knew he had cancer, because of the cancer itself. He had no appetite, claimed everything he ate tasted like ash. The cancer did the rest.

My mom went from an overweight woman, to a skeleton after 10 months of dealing with, and being treated for, her cancer.

The doctor that did the autopsy should know that most cancers cause rapid weight loss, especially if you're being treated with chemo and radiation. The main cause of your husbands death is obviously cancer. Being malnourished is just a side affect of that disease. :(

I'm reminded of my mom's quote about her cancer "If you're fat and you get sick, you get thin. If you're thin and you get sick, you die". When it comes to cancer, you get thin, and most times you die as well. :(

So sorry for your loss.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What do I do if the wrong cause of death is on a death certificate? [ 1 Answers ]

My father died recently after being in hospice for two weeks. He had many problems -- diabetes, renal failure, heart problems. Since my father was a veteran, we need the death certificate to help my mom apply for benefits. When the death certificate arrived, it listed "colon cancer" as the cause...

What happens if cause of death is wrong on death certificate? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband died of a rare condition which he was infected with whilst in hospital, this condition went undiagnosed,and the wrong information put on his death certificate. Can anything be done to change the information at all? Jessica

Death Certificate [ 15 Answers ]

Need some help here, My second cousin recently passed away but we were very close when I was young, took me fishing, football, did everything a father should for his son. I was asked to start to arrange everything for his funeral has his daughter is out of the country for the next few days and...

Death Certificate - Cause of Death Recorded Incorrectly [ 8 Answers ]

Is it common practice to write down on the death certificates the wrong reason for cause of death? And if so, why do doctors do that? This happen to my dad a few weeks ago and I'm just trying to understand. Thanks in advance, Scott

Death certificate [ 1 Answers ]

Hi Experts, I am doing a biographical search on a subject, minor nobility, who died in South of France, 1878 and would like to obtain death certificate, also find burial place. She is buried in Nimes, Arles, maybe Nice. Can anyone direct me how to get records in France, and a listing...

View more questions Search