Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    majorkidder Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 28, 2010, 10:21 AM
    Starting a billiards/pool hall?
    I am pursuing the idea of opening a billiards establishment in my current town. I am looking for any assistance in the process of getting this off the ground. It will predominately cater to pool, but will have a bar serving cocktails and a dance floor w/ a stage for the possibility of having live music, too. Anyone have any ideas as to the profit margins on alcohol sales versus billiards services? Anyone have any ideas about true amount of time it will take to get out of the red in this venture? Please feel free to offer any other information that I have not asked for that pertains to opening a billiards hall.

Many thanks,
    Major
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Dec 28, 2010, 01:50 PM
    Start up costs? A few hundred thousand. I can't think of many ventures more expensive than pool, booze, music and dance. Required parking, permits, licenses, and insurance will be through the roof if you can even get them. Heating, cooling, cleaning, repairs, theft, supplies.
    Town? Unless you get the equipment at auction for pennies and have customers every minute at every table, the income won't be enough. Think about how much room a table takes on the floor.
    Yes, booze is the biggest money maker. Can you even get a liquor license?
    Music the least. No one pays to dance; they drink and dance.
    Then there's the cops, drugs, underage, fights, gangs, paying people off, or dealing with organized crime.
    gitch123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2011, 08:01 PM
    The key to any place is filling it with bodies regularly. One of the nice things about a pool hall, is the fact that any income off a table is better than none. You have to find ways to turn slow nights into busier nights. Have 1/2 price Mondays, date nights et cetera. Print up Hour free pool gift cards and give to local restaurants to hand out with paychecks, nothing better than getting young people in with a fresh bankroll, and the restaurant benefits because it's doing a little extra for the staff. One key thing to creating regulars is making them feel special, have servers chat guests,"nice shot" comments, and NEVER ding a goup of guys 120$ after they just paid 220$ on drink and food. You may fill the till that night, but they won't be back any time soon. My experience in the industry, like it or not, has shown "hustlers" do not generally spend a lot, and expect to be catered to far too much. Recreational players are there for fun, and fun breeds more fun and makes your spot top of mind when it comes to friends looking for a night out and inevitably feel good about spending their disposable income in your place. Sales are everything, cost of doing biz,food,labour,liquor per centages all drop as sales go up. More cash going in your pocket makes your decisions easier too... do we need more TV's, bigger menu and such. When 1st opening, don't save laabour at the cost of guest satisfaction, use "smart" labour. Could a 3 hour server on a Friday cover her wage, liquor cost and so on in order to keep guests happy and sell more product. Empty glasses and waiting for food and service is a certain business killer. Hope I helped, good luck and have fun... if you do, staff will, and if staff have fun, so will guests.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pool Hall [ 3 Answers ]

I want to open a pool hall for teens. No Achohal just soda water, pool, music, and stuff.What do I need to open a business like that after I buy or lease place to open it. Do I need to have legal permission or something of the sort?

Pool player wanting to start a pool hall in indianapolis [ 1 Answers ]

Simply; if anyone reading this is interested in starting a pool hall in indianapolis please reply. My name is lucas I have been around pool for over ten years and I currently work at a pool hall on the east side. My funds are low but, my will is high. I have several good ideas. Contact me...

Starting a Pool Hall [ 1 Answers ]

I need specifics on starting a pool hall. This includes, but is not limited to, the NECESSARY steps needed in order to start up the business, the supplies required and extras if possible (as well as references), what insurances may be needed for the pool hall, and any other relevant information. ...

View more questions Search