Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Bob6831 Posts: 30, Reputation: 1

Nov 12, 2006, 04:36 PM
    1995 Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor
    Hi.
    Have decided to replace my Oxygen sensor, but am having a problem getting the old sensor out. (I already have the new sensor).
    Is very tight space. I am thinking that may be best way to break old sensor, then can put socket wrench on and remove the remaining part. Is this a good thing to do?
    I am somewhat reluctant, because I hate to ruin a part before I am 100% sure new part fits, etc.
    Bob
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 04:47 PM
    Bad idea. Buy an oxygen sensor socket for $10. You'll need it to properly torque the new sensor to 33 lb-ft. Apply Kroil to old sensor, warm car up, use oxygen sensor socket and breaker bar to remove old sensor, thoroughly clean old threads with brake cleaner, install new sensor, and torque to 33 lb-ft.

Nov 12, 2006, 04:52 PM
    Thx.
    Where can I find this socket, will places like AutoZone have it?
    Bob
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 04:55 PM
    Yes.

Nov 12, 2006, 05:00 PM
    What is Kroil?
    Uber Member

Nov 12, 2006, 05:08 PM
    Similar to PB Blaster but better. Kroil smells good, PB Blaster stinks. Kroil is the best industrial penetrant made.

Nov 12, 2006, 05:09 PM
    Ok, thanks for your help.
    Bob
    Accord98 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 12, 2007, 04:44 PM
    If this is the original sensor, the threads in the exhaust pipe will strip when you remove the old sensor. Don't be afraid to break the old one as it is garbage anyway. You will probably need to bring your car to a good muffler shop to weld a new sensor "plug" into your old pipe to be able to screw in the new sensor

Jul 12, 2007, 07:26 PM
    Wow, 7 months later and I get a response to this?? Lol
    I have already removed and replaced the sensor. No problem with the threads.
    But... in case anyone knows, I do have a problem with this new sensor in that it almost always causes 'check engine' light to come on about 5-15 minutes after car is first cold started. Once I have turned the engine off and re-started, then no more light.. until start cold engine again.
    Does this mean that the sensor was bad, or a wrong one (new one has only couple of holes at the end, old one had several)?
    Thx.
    Bob
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 09:08 AM
    Bob6831, once your car warms up and is out of the "open loop" program, it throws a code. This is the point where the ECM "passes judgment" on the oxygen sensor. ECMs often don't like universal sensors--best to go OEM.

Jul 13, 2007, 07:03 PM
    So... would this light coming on cause my car to fail inspection?
    Uber Member

Jul 13, 2007, 08:05 PM
    I believe it would.
    Accord98 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jul 15, 2007, 06:24 PM
    I don't know if you want to try a BOSCH sensor, but I also have a 95 Pathfinder, and I went through an oxygen sensor almost every 2 years "Nissan Original" until I put in a Bosch replacement. It's been at least 5 years on this one. However, Honda sensors might be better. My 98 Accord has not eaten one yet.
    FixHondas Posts: 70, Reputation: 4

Jul 16, 2007, 04:09 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Accord98
    I don't know if you want to try a BOSCH sensor, but I also have a 95 Pathfinder, and I went through an oxygen sensor almost every 2 years "Nissan Original" until I put in a Bosch replacement. It's been at least 5 years on this one. However, Honda sensors might be better. My 98 Accord has not eaten one yet.
    I haven't seen long lasting results with anything Bosch makes for Hondas.
    Honda uses NGK and Denso.
    Stay away from the generics - they don'y last long either.
    MonkeyZ1 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 4, 2008, 03:57 AM
    Nice... I was able to steel two sensor from a junkyard with a 22mm & 7/8 wrench and some DW-40 or paint thinner will do and let it soak

Going to try see if I can save myself some cash hehehe

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Honda Civic knock sensor [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the knock sensor located on the 2000 Honda Civic EX 4D 1.6l (single overhead cam)?

1995 Honda Civic Won't Start [ 9 Answers ]

Please help guys, let me first say that I don't really know much about cars, just a little. A few weeks ago my engine overheated because of a failed radiator. Me and my dad replaced the radiator, and discovered water was leaking into the engine, it occasionally ran a little rough on start, but...

1995 Honda Civic CX overheating [ 7 Answers ]

We are having trouble with my daughter's car. It overheats in traffic but does not seem to on highway. We have checked the radiator level and filled it but after a short while it needs refilling but we cannot find a leak anywhere. We thought she might have blown the headgasket when it first...

1995 Honda Civic Horn [ 3 Answers ]

Hi All: How do I attach the wries to the horn for a 1995 Honda Civic? Which wires go where? TIA Mike

View more questions Search