Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 07:44 PM
    Heat pump vs electric heat
    I have a heat pump with a two stage thermostat, 1st stage is heat pump, 2nd stage is electric (resistance) heat. Is it ever more economical to run the furnace with resistance heat only, not the heat pump?
    I know that the outdoor temperature affects the ability of the heat pump to work, but is it feasible that below a certain temperature the heat pump becomes less effective than resistance heating?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 08:47 PM
    When it is very cold, say 20's. Even if the heat pump is producing a 6 degree rise in temperature it is cheaper than resistive heat, the stat will kick that on as soon as it doesn't keep up anymore.
    Missouri Bound Posts: 1,532, Reputation: 94
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 08:53 PM
    Thanks for the reply. May I assume that you are saying that as long as it keeps up, even if it takes a considerable amount of time, it's still more economical to run the heat pump than resistive heat?
    Also, other posts on this subject have said that if the temperature goes below 25 degrees it is advisable to go to electric resistance only. It often goes into the 10-15 degree range here. Do you still have the opinion that the heat pump is still the best way to go?
    NorthernHeat Posts: 1,455, Reputation: 132
    Ultra Member

Dec 5, 2006, 09:03 PM
    As I said, 25ish is about as low as I would go. You can get a low ambient control that will lock the heat pump out at a preset temperature, this is the method I prefer (restricted mode)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whalen Heat Pump - no heat! [ 9 Answers ]

Hi, I live in a condo and have a Whalen Heat Pump. I changed the thermostat to a Noma digital programmable model (model # 52-255808) in the summer time. The A/C works well and the fan works well, but I did not test for heat as it was summer when I installed it. Well, now that the weather is...

NO HEAT! Janitrol heat pump and AC system. Changing to Lux Thermostat. Wiring issue. [ 11 Answers ]

I have a Janitrol A/C and heat pump system. I replaced the thermostat with a Lux T9000LC The A/C works fine, but the heater does not. I have it wired as follows: G - Green Y - Yellow W - White RH - Pink B -

Electric Heat-Pump-No heat [ 2 Answers ]

I had a wall-mounted unit installed in a room in may of this summer. In the middle of the night the heat shut off and has not come back on since. It is an Amana, electric heat with heat pump unit. The cooling works, the heating setting does not blow air at all. When I remove the cover it says...

Changing from gas heat to electric heat [ 3 Answers ]

How do you change from Apollo gas heating system to electric heating system?

Electric heat [ 6 Answers ]

I recently moved to a home with electric heat. I am not familiar with it. Is the air from the registers suppose to be more cool than warm, it is not cold but cool Debbi

View more questions Search