Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rustyboy Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

May 7, 2008, 07:17 AM
    Criteria for being bondable
    My 18-year-old made a very stupid decision when she took 2 cheques from her room mate that were already endorsed by him and filled in with an amount, but the pay to was blank. She filled in her name and deposited them in her bank account to get back at him for being so nasty to her. She clearly was not thinking that this was so wrong. She did not spend any of the money and 14 days later both checks were returned to her room mates account. He had already reported them stolen. A month later she gets a call from a detective who tells her she has to come in for questioning about a criminal investigation.

We accompanied her to the police station were she made a full admission of what she did and why. The detective who clearly could see that this was a very stupid error in judgement on her part and that she was completely out of character for her, was going to recommend no charges be laid if her room mate was considering pressing charges.

Thankfully her room mate did not wish to press charges, as it really was a stupid thing for her to do and he had all his money back, and they had been friends all through school, etc.

So, she was not charged with any crime and no further action was taken.

My question is this, many jobs she may want to apply for require the employee to be bondable. Would she be answering honestly if she said yes. The detective did mention that it would come in a police check, but did not exactly go into detail as to what that might mean. And, if it does prevent her from being bondable is there anyway to have this removed, as she was not arrested or charged with any crime.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 07:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rustyboy
    My 18-year-old made a very stupid decision when she took 2 cheques from her room mate that were already endorsed by him and filled in with an amount, but the pay to was blank. She filled in her name and deposited them in her bank account to get back at him for being so nasty to her. She clearly was not thinking that this was so wrong. She did not spend any of the money and 14 days later both checks were returned to her room mates account. He had already reported them stolen. A month later she gets a call from a detective who tells her she has to come in for questioning about a criminal investigation.

We accompanied her to the police station were she made a full admission of what she did and why. The detective who clearly could see that this was a very stupid error in judgement on her part and that she was completely out of character for her, was going to recommend no charges be laid if her room mate was considering pressing charges.

Thankfully her room mate did not wish to press charges, as it really was a stupid thing for her to do and he had all his money back, and they had been friends all through school, etc.

So, she was not charged with any crime and no further action was taken.

My question is this, many jobs she may want to apply for require the employee to be bondable. Would she be answering honestly if she said yes. The detective did mention that it would come in a police check, but did not exactly go into detail as to what that might mean. And, if it does prevent her from being bondable is there anyway to have this removed, as she was not arrested or charged with any crime.

Yes, it will show up on a bond application. Then it's up to the bonding company (and the employer, if the employer is paying for the bond) to decide how to proceed.

Different bonding companies have different criteria so one may refuse her and another one may accept her. This is either stealing or, as you say, a very bad error in judgment and there may be some concern that she will feel justified and make another bad error in judgment.

My employees are bonded and I have had a company refuse to bond based on a rather old driving while intoxicated.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

May 7, 2008, 07:49 AM
    Hello Rust:

I can't tell from your post whether she was arrested or not. If she was, the arrest will show up on a background check by the bonding company... However, if no charges were levied, then the bonding company won't hold it against her.

Bonding is like insurance. There are some bondsman willing to take a higher risk for a higher profit. I'm sure she can find a bond - even if she were convicted.

excon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Criteria for becoming bonded [ 4 Answers ]

I was recently asked on an application if I was able to be bonded. I wanted to know What types of offenses would stop a person from becoming bonded? Do you have to be convicted of the crime and does traffic violations count?

How do I become bondable in Canada? [ 7 Answers ]

How do I become bondable in Canada? Is there a legal procedure you have to go through or a specific place you would have to go to get this done. I am not currently working at a place that would offer me the info on getting started with this. Thanks for any assistance in this area.

Felon bondable [ 1 Answers ]

I would like to know if I'm bondable being a felon?

Counting when there are 2 criteria [ 1 Answers ]

In a spreadsheet, how do I get a count total if there are two criteria? For example, in one column I want to count all the "1"'s if, in another column there is a "c".

View more questions Search