Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    rayachi Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 6, 2008, 07:49 PM
    Water heater
    How u test a gas valve also thermocouple thks:confused: :confused: :confused:
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 6, 2008, 08:44 PM
    You will need a meter to test the thermocouple. They are cheap and you are better off just replacing it. Make sure you have a good strong pilot lite and that the orifice is not restricted.
    rayachi Posts: 19, Reputation: 1

Aug 7, 2008, 12:10 AM
    How test a gas valve?? /
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Aug 7, 2008, 02:37 AM
    On a standard hot water heater gas valve there is no actual test except for a operation test. If the pilot lite stays on and the gas valve is turned up (you will here a click in the control) then the gas valve should be allowing gas to flow into the burner and you will see the main burner flame. If not then the gas valve is defective and you will need to replace it.

Some other water heater tips.

Water Heaters - Check out our carpet and disaster recovery tips!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New hot water heater installed, but no hot water pressure. Plenty of cold water? [ 11 Answers ]

Hi, I own a small plumbing service and have a problem I've never encountered before. I installed a new top vented gas water heater for a customer. Turned the main back on, bled air out of the lines, etc. Problem is there is no hot water pressure throughout the house. Cold water pressure is fine....

Need help deciding between a tank or tankless water heater [ 19 Answers ]

Which one saves me money; the tankless water heater or conventional tank water heater? :confused:

Surging water pressure & leaking water heater relief valve [ 19 Answers ]

Just recently the pressure of our water in the house surges when we turn a faucet on, and the city water company verified that our pressure in the house when we open a faucet is higher than the pressure in the lines in the street, and after the water runs is at a normal pressure (meaning their...

Water heater hookup with sidearm supplimental heater [ 0 Answers ]

Hello: I'm hooking up a sidearm heater to an existing electric water heater for use with an outdoor wood furnace. I've seen diagrams showing the upper port of the potable water side hooked up to the anode port, the TPV port, and the cold water inlet port. My initial thought is that plumbing it into...

Connecting a tankless water heater and separate hot water heater [ 6 Answers ]

What I have is this. An oil fired boiler that generates hot water for my house baseboard heating system. Contained within the boiler is a tankless heater that is heated by way of the firebox in the boiler. The tankless heater is used only for domestic hot water. It has a separate CW supply to the...

View more questions Search