Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    sweetpie88 Posts: 104, Reputation: 2

May 16, 2013, 02:13 PM
    Is it a bad idea to go to college online?
    I am 25 and been thinking about going back to college after I left a few years back due to financial reasons. At that time I couldn't afford it and wasn't getting any support. I found an online school that is affordable since I work part time. I am not sure what I want to major in but I have an idea. I want to study Computer Support Tech but thinking things thoroughly.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

May 16, 2013, 02:32 PM
    I totally don't agree with taking an on line course in computer support tech. Can't you go to a community college for this at night, or in your spare time. Theory does not equal hands on experience which you would not get on line; another point is, it would have to be an accredited on line course.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 16, 2013, 02:36 PM
    Not everything online is accredited.. and anything that's not is a waste of time as they won't count for a Degree that companies will accept.

I also agree with Tickle... there are many things you just can't accomplish on your own online... And labs with equipment you don't have access to actually restricts what you do learn... because not everything translates well from the Text (theory) into practice.

Just an FYI... I'm a degreed Engineer.

May 16, 2013, 02:45 PM
    I'm still thinking about going to a community college. I can go at night but I really don't think it's an option for me. I work at a grocery store standing on my feet for 5-6 hours I'm going to be too tired.

May 16, 2013, 02:47 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by smoothy View Post
    Not everything online is accredited..and anything that's not is a waste of time as they won;t count for a Degree that companies will accept.

I also agree with Tickle....there are many things you just can't accomplish on your own online...And labs with equipment you don't have access to actually restricts what you do learn...because not everything translates well from the Text (theory) into practice.

Just an FYI....I'm a degreed Engineer.
    The school I found is accredited. Both answers have good points. I have a lot to think about.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 16, 2013, 03:39 PM
    Computer Support TECH? As in the technical branch of a cell phone carrier, or cable company like Comcast?
    You could get a CSR job in those places right away, and they may train you for tech support. (Whenever I have to deal with comcast, I have to go through about 5 reps before I am finally transferred to tech support, where I get someone who fixes the problem in 2 seconds.) Those jobs are very specific to the company as much as the equipment. Knowledge of basic electronics is probably required, and a knack for learning more. Would you say that you are very good at setting up electronics right out of the box? If not, I wouldn't even get into this field.
    Countless companies have sit down CSR jobs... eBay... catalog sales (clothing, shoes, housewares), you name it. I think most of them pay $10/hr to start.
    You may find that you hate it, because customers mostly yell at you. At the very least, you have to work non-stop. If you take your phone off the hook, a supervisor is all over you in 2 seconds (they can monitor that from their desk). You are expected to handle a quota of calls, and if it's sales, a quota of sales. You have a little training but not much, and are expected to learn as you go, which is stressful.
    But it's a good sit down job! While you take a course online or in a classroom or on the job.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 16, 2013, 04:01 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    The school I found is accredited.
    Accredited by whom? Online schools are very cagey and show their "accreditations" that have nothing to do with the real world. Your certificate or degree will mean nothing if the accreditation is fake.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

May 16, 2013, 04:03 PM
    If you have to to partial... do the humanities online (IF your local school will accept their credits.. ) and save the critical theory and labs for your local school...

But talk to your brick and mortar school first to see if they will accept transfer credits from your online school before you start taking them.

Not every school will accept transfer credits from every other. Even if they are accredited and both brick and mortar schools. That's always been true. Even 30 years ago when I got my degree..

May 16, 2013, 04:25 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    Computer Support TECH? As in the technical branch of a cell phone carrier, or cable company like Comcast?
    You could get a CSR job in those places right away, and they may train you for tech support. (Whenever I have to deal with comcast, I have to go through about 5 reps before I am finally transferred to tech support, where I get someone who fixes the problem in 2 seconds.) Those jobs are very specific to the company as much as the equipment. Knowledge of basic electronics is probably required, and a knack for learning more. Would you say that you are very good at setting up electronics right out of the box? If not, I wouldn't even get into this field.
    Countless companies have sit down CSR jobs... ebay... catalog sales (clothing, shoes, housewares), you name it. I think most of them pay $10/hr to start.
    You may find that you hate it, because customers mostly yell at you. At the very least, you have to work non-stop. If you take your phone off the hook, a supervisor is all over you in 2 seconds (they can monitor that from their desk). You are expected to handle a quota of calls, and if it's sales, a quota of sales. You have a little training but not much, and are expected to learn as you go, which is stressful.
    But it's a good sit down job! While you take a course online or in a classroom or on the job.

Thank you. I hope to find a job as a computer support tech pretty much in any company that needs them. I want to take this major because I am into computers and technology. Since you said it could be stress that scares me because I don't want to deal with all that lol. I think I am good with setting up electronics out of the box lol ;)

May 16, 2013, 04:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Accredited by whom? Online schools are very cagey and show their "accreditations" that have nothing to do with the real world. Your certificate or degree will mean nothing if the accreditation is fake.
    When I looked on the site it said by the BBB if I remember correctly.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

May 16, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by sweetpie88 View Post
    When I looked on the site it said by the BBB if I remember correctly.
    Check with some companies (or the type of companies) you might work for to find out if that is good enough. Doesn't seem like that would be good enough as an accreditation. It just means they belong to the BBB.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

May 16, 2013, 05:34 PM
    I looked at your resume from 2 years ago, and I don't think that 'basic computer knowledge' is going to be enough to take a tech course online. You need hands on hardware and software courses.
    I would see what is available as a CSR before you try to be a tech.
    I'm worried that you will pay the online tuition and struggle too much to finish.

May 17, 2013, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Check with some companies (or the type of companies) you might work for to find out if that is good enough. Doesn't seem like that would be good enough as an accreditation. It just means they belong to the BBB.
    Oh OK thank you!

May 17, 2013, 03:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by joypulv View Post
    I looked at your resume from 2 years ago, and I don't think that 'basic computer knowledge' is going to be enough to take a tech course online. You need hands on hardware and software courses.
    I would see what is available as a CSR before you try to be a tech.
    I'm worried that you will pay the online tuition and struggle too much to finish.
    Haha yeah that was a resume from 2 years back but I have a new one now. I'll take what you said into consideration :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Using a blog to vent a good idea? Bad idea? Other ideas? Suggestions? [ 13 Answers ]

If you've seen my other question, then you know I've had some drama lately.. Well concerning that post I will say, things settled out. Well.. more of, she read my journal that morning while I took my regents test and found out that I thought I liked her. Today, we discussed that. She doesn't...

Do you think it's a bad idea to drop out of college? [ 3 Answers ]

I don't think that college is for everyone.I mean,I don't hate learning new things,but I love to learn new languages.and I wanted to drop out of college and study some new langauges in an instutation.but,my parents keep telling me that I won't be able to find good career with an instutation's...

Free college for everyone. Bad idea? [ 179 Answers ]

I heard Obama say that he wants to provide free college to every American. I think it's a terrible idea. He would spend gadzillions of our money, and when everyone has a college degree, those grads will be flippin burgers and hanging onto garbage trucks. We will have come full circle and wasted who...

Rerouting pipes in 12 unit condo building? Good idea or bad idea [ 2 Answers ]

Is it a good idea to reroute pipes for a 12 unit building rather then take the chance of digging up concrete parking lot and plumber not finding where break in clay pipe is? If there is a break in the pipe at all how can you put a liner in if you can't see?? I personally think the plumber is lying...

View more questions Search