Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    foxlass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 11:02 AM
    Thought debt was paid
    First of all I live in Manitoba.Last night I got a call from Portfolio Management Canada stating I owe on a credit card from 14 years ago. I thought it was paid. I never heard from them until now. They claimed to have spoken to someone in my house,but this was not true.They only left unclear automated messages within the last 6 months.I ignored these messages thinking it was only a scam. No letters were ever sent. What can I do to solve this.
    Lowtax4eva Posts: 2,467, Reputation: 190
    Ultra Member

Mar 8, 2007, 11:09 AM
    I think it's old enough that it has rolled off your credit, and has passed any statute of limitations for collection. Just tell them it was paid (not you think its payed) and they're wrong. Also inform them they have no right to call you if they haven't sent a formal collection letter.

Above all don't agree to pay anything or make a payment arrangement, as soon as you do you are admitting the debt is yours and they can put marks on your credit again.

Call Manitoba's consumer protection agency and ask someone there, they may be able to tell you what to do in more detail.
    foxlass Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 8, 2007, 11:16 AM
    Thank you I will do that

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

He thought I had orgasm, but I didn't. [ 8 Answers ]

My b/f and I are together for a year, and when we had sex, he thought that I reached orgasms, but I did not. I never said anything, because I was scared to hurt his feeling,especially his size is kind of small. It has been a year now, I don't know how to tell him this, so we can try some other ways...

Thought for the day. [ 15 Answers ]

Entering into a relationship is like buying a pair of shoes!! There are loads to chose from, all different colours and sizes. You find a pair that you think will fit, you try them on, there perfect, you couldn't be happier. But you find that the shoes do not fit like you hoped they...

Never thought I'd be in a situation like this... [ 12 Answers ]

I've been in a committed relationship for almost 8 months now. I was with one man almost 8 years and when I split with him last year, I "sowed some oats" and then began seeing my current boyfriend. I'm 27 and he's 32. Problem is, I really love him and we're talking marriage in the future, but...

Thought I would share this PM [ 6 Answers ]

Hey folks, I thought I would share this PM I got from hedieh. Guess we got through!! I love to hear a happy ending!! :D:D

Thought to ponder! [ 4 Answers ]

In read posts from this very helpful site, a came across this quote from another site I visit. Seem appropriate. experience Without experiences which render life unbearable and which make the hope of something new appear alluring and promising, there is no impulse toward inner change. But...

View more questions Search