Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    pazamaal Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2006, 05:48 PM
    GE electric dryer won't turn on
    I have a dryer that is about 4 years old. It was working, I changed loads and now it won't do anything. It dried the last load fine, the clothes were warm and I stopped the dryer to take out the dry clothes. But now nothing at all. Checked breaker and it was fine. Thanks for help.
    andrewcocke Posts: 439, Reputation: 22

Oct 11, 2006, 06:06 PM
    Check your door switch, make sure it is operational.

If the door switch checks good, the start switch could be faulty, in newer dryers, the start switch is built into the timer, in older dryers, your start switch may be separate, if you have to push on the timer dial to start the dryer, its built into the timer.

Check any other safteys that may be stuck open, I can't think of any right off hand, but double check anyway. If it won't do ANYTHING, Id say it's the door switch, or the start switch.

If you are still having problems, please post.
    FIXFORTAMMYO Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 15, 2007, 09:13 AM
    I went to start my dryer this morning after i added the clothes & i get nothing when i push the button. I have checked the fuse box & that is fine.it worked fine last evening & now nothing. Thanks!
    esquire1 Posts: 2,483, Reputation: 209
    Ultra Member

Oct 15, 2007, 05:24 PM
    The thermal fuse is bad and needs to be replaced. It is located on the back side of the blower housing. It is about 3/8" wide and about 2/12" long
    joelee29678 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 15, 2011, 11:48 PM
    Ge electric dryer won't start.
    drtom4444 Posts: 3,282, Reputation: 145
    Ultra Member

Aug 17, 2011, 08:03 AM
    If the safety is bad, which is what it sounds like, you have to tear down the drier and wash out all of the dirt that is on the duct work in the drier. It is flammable which is why the safety burned out, to prevent a house fire. Look at this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MMP7BW1lLs4 and others to see how to take a drier apart. I would replace the belt ($5.00 or so) and grease the bearings with white lithium grease, also. The safety is expensive sometimes, so clean the drier very well and clean the blower, too. I always wash out the parts with soap and water and vacuum out the motor. It's all easy to do, but do this in a garage where you have plenty of space. Driers used to be the number one cause of fires before manufacturers put in the safeties. The safety you need to replace is near the element, but make sure to check it with a meter. DrTom4444

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Dryer won't turn on [ 4 Answers ]

I have a Whirlpool dryer (model #LGR7646EQ2) that got a tennis show caught in between the drum and the door. I heard the shoe thumping, then the dryer stopped. I removed the tennis shoe, but the dryer won't start back up. I can turn the drum by hand, but the start button won't turn it on. ...

Kenmore electric dryer/ no power [ 1 Answers ]

I have an electric kenmore dryer, seems like it is not getting power. I have checked the breaker everything is fine there took off the back panel and have tested that it is getting power as far down the hot wire as I can check that leads to the blower motor. Even when you open the door there is no...

Electric dryer heats up, won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I have a Kenmore Heavy Duty dryer that heats up, but nothing happens when I press that start button. By heating up, I mean I turn the timer dial and I can open the door, look inside, and see the glowing red heating element and it is still heating with the door open. Pressing the start button,...

Whirlpool electric dryer not fully drying [ 2 Answers ]

I have a whirlpool electric dryer model number gew9868kq0. When I have a little load it dries OK in auto mode. When I have a med to full load I have to start it up a few times to dry in auto sensing mode. Any help would be great... Mike

Electric Dryer Question [ 5 Answers ]

I have a Frigidaire Electric Dryer that is taking entirely too long to dry clothes. It takes about 3 dryer cycles (approximately 3 hours) to get one regular load of clothes to dry completely. When I open the dryer, it feels pretty warm/hot. Any ideas what could be causing this?

View more questions Search