Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    SandS10 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Dec 29, 2008, 09:31 AM
    Should I use 401k money to get on my feet?
    I am getting divorced and we currently own a home. I am not going to be able to afford the house and will need to get an apartment and some basic furniture. I have already taken money out of my 401k as a loan. I am 36 and contemplating taking a withdrawal for the remainder (which really isn't even that much, like 5k) of the money so that I can get an apartment for myself and my son. I know there are huge penalties etc... but is it really that bad to do? I can't get a loan because my name is on the mortgage. We are doing a short sale on the house because of the housing market. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 07:49 AM
    It's hard to answer this question without knowing your income. Additionally, it's hard to answer the question without knowing how much cash you have; I can only assume you have none.

As you probably know, when you pull money out of a 401k, you will pay federal and state income tax in addition to a 10 percent penalty. If you don't remove this money, it will continue to grow tax free until your retirement. So yeah, it's pretty bad. Basically, 40 percent of your (and your husband's since it's a joint asset?) 401k savings will go to the government.

If it were me, I wouldn't remove the money unless there really is no other way out. And if the question was to: a) have furniture; or b) have a 401k, I'd have a 401k and save up cash for Goodwill/garage sale furniture.

As someone whose parents are divorced, I know this is a difficult time for all involved. But I can tell you that my parents divorce completely wrecked both their finances. It set off a series of bad financial decisions (e.g. my Mom wanted us to continue living in the style to which we were accustomed) that have left them near retirement without any retirement funds. My advice: if you can't pay cash for it, you can't afford it. And save at least 15 percent of your pre-tax income. Financial stability is worth a lot more to kids than designer clothes or a nice apartment/house.

Best of luck.

Jan 5, 2009, 07:53 AM

Thanks Frank! That is great advice!
    FrankK Posts: 23, Reputation: 2

Jan 5, 2009, 01:11 PM
    You are very welcome. I would also add that now is a particularly bad time to cash out a 401k because stocks are down about 35 percent this past year. So you would likely be cashing out at, or near, the market low, further penalizing yourself on top of the government's already hefty take.

Jan 5, 2009, 01:12 PM

Thanks again! I'm going to try and keep what's left of the 401k - providing my husband doesn't take it all!!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Do I have money in 401k [ 3 Answers ]

I'm 35, how can I find out if I have money in 401k and can I withdraw it now. Emergency

Want my 401k money [ 4 Answers ]

I have found a vacation home that I would like to purchase.. I need 20% down.. I want to get the money out of my 401k plan.. not worried about the taxes and penalties.. just want the money... how can I get it. Thanks

57 yo- need 401k money [ 2 Answers ]

After 37 years with same company, the company closed. I was laid off. I'm 57 yo And I need money out of my 401 to help start new business (was in transportation and Am about to open another trucking/transportation company.) What is the best way to Access my 401k with the least amount of...

Need money from 401k [ 3 Answers ]

Need to take my money out of my 401k plan,what steps do I need to take.

Need money from my 401k [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I was just wondering if anyone knew the answer to this question. I am only 31 and I want to cash out my simple 401k that I have now and am still with the same emloyer. I want it to pay off my debt. Is there anyway I can get that money? I don't care if I pay a penalty at this point. Do I...

View more questions Search