Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    chevy666 Posts: 127, Reputation: 1

Jun 27, 2011, 08:44 AM
    Tent Camping Tips in Hike in Campground?
    Hi,
    I just wanted to know some methods others have used for cooking over a fire pit. Also other easy things to make using a normal fire pit, and how to cook them, or methods you use. I also was wondering about any other tent camping methods anyone has used, this is a hike in campground so pretty much just wilderness. They also have a beach, and community restrooms, and water spout. Anything ideas or tips are appreciated thanks a lot.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2011, 08:47 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by chevy666 View Post
    Anything ideas or tips are appreciated thanks alot.
    Hello chevy:

I LOVE camping. That's why I take along my Coleman CAMPING stove. It's just that cooking over an open fire is only good for hot dogs and smores...

excon

Jun 27, 2011, 09:12 AM
    Comment on excon's post
    Thanks:) Do you have any other good camping ideas, or things to get to make over campfire? Any other easy wilderness ideas or tips? Like how about making coffee. Or the easiest things to make for breakfast, lunch, dinner? Like I've heard you could take a rock and put it in the fire pit, then are able to cook on it. Usually breakfast consists of coffee, toast, cereal, think that's it. Got any alternatives, or substitutes that may make it easier? Lunch and dinner are pretty simple.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jun 27, 2011, 09:16 AM

Hello again, chevy:

With my STOVE, I eat well... I suppose I COULD cook on a hot rock if I was a mind to, but I'm not...

Look.. Camping for me is getting away. It's smelling the freshness of the woods.. It's the quiet.

It's NOT a test of my wilderness abilities. I LIKE being comfortable, even in the mountains.

excon

PS> Coffee?? I boil my water and pour it through a filter... You can buy those one cup plastic makers that hold a #2 coffee filter... Here in Seattle, we NEVER go without our coffee.
    southamerica Posts: 667, Reputation: 400

Jun 27, 2011, 09:23 AM

You can make a fire packet:

On a big piece of foil (1 ft x I ft) place potatoes, onions, bell peppers, garlic, pepper, your meat of choice (raw), and other veggies or ingredients that you see fit. Drizzle olive oil over the whole thing and wrap it up securely. I wrap mine with a second piece of foil. Then I place them in a big zip-lock bag and take them up with me. When your fire has been going for a while, you can just place the package (minus the plastic bag, of course) in a place with embers but not a bunch of flames. Turn it a couple of times, and let it cook for about a half hour. You might want to pull it out and check it at that point and you might need to throw it back in. just use your discretion there.

Unless you have some camping pots or kettles with a secure lid, it'll be hard to cook coffee or boil water over the fire. I used to do that a long time ago and I ended up with ashy food. Seriously, a decent camping stove is $30 at an outdoors store and it is well worth the investment.

I use a Nalgene (or similar bottle-as long as it has a wide opening) and crack enough eggs for every one, put some milk and a chunk of butter in it. That way you can place the bottle in the river (or however you keep perishables cool) and it will last you the trip. Of course I cook over a camping stove. It's not healthy, but you should splurge and get a jiffy pop. It's fun and works over a campfire.

If you can't afford a camping stove, then take up things that don't require cooking such as pop-tarts, clif bars, jerky, trail mix, fruit, etc. The fire packets are awesome and don't require a stove, hot dogs, jiffy pop, marshmallows, will be good. If you can find a way to boil water without getting ash in it, then you can do more such as cook pasta or burgers.

I also bring hummus and tortillas. And pesto sauce.

Anyway, good luck and have fun!

Jun 27, 2011, 10:01 AM
    Comment on southamerica's post
    Haha thank you so much I appreciate it !
    raisingale Posts: 71, Reputation: 20

Jun 27, 2011, 10:30 AM

I pie iron is also a lot of fun over a camp fire. You can cook pretty much anything in one. Most outdoor retailers carry them.

Jun 28, 2011, 10:22 AM
    Comment on raisingale's post
    Ok, thanks a lot!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Heating a Tent [ 1 Answers ]

Need some advice about heating a tent. I've been camping lots of times before but find in the nights, it gets bitterly cold. I have a well insulated tent, air mattress to keep me off the floor, high quality sleeping bag and use covers for added heat but still too cold for proper sleep. I...

A price hike letter requesting a price hike in our tariff [ 1 Answers ]

A price hike letter requesting a price hike in our tariff due to the recent hike in fuel rate

Wire Size & voltage drop - Campground application [ 4 Answers ]

I am building a campground. Need to know how to figure wire size and voltage drop per foot

I'm driving a tent [ 3 Answers ]

Merry Christmas to all. I know that this is probably a bad night to ask this, but after a particularly nasty experience, I have decided I am at my wit's end. I have a 96 Camaro, whose interior headliner is falling down, especially on the passenger side. The adhesive, (I think), is coming apart,...

Forcloser on a tent [ 2 Answers ]

What Happens to a Family if they are renting a home and then the landlord gets forclosed on ?

View more questions Search