Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    McGoohan Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Dec 3, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Preserve word processing formatting
    My typist tells me that if she sends my manuscript electronically, the formatting will not be preserved. How can we correct for this and does it involve PDF?
    vingogly Posts: 718, Reputation: 105

Dec 3, 2007, 09:11 PM
    Depends on the nature of the document, the nature of the formatting, and how the document will be used by the recipient. If both sender & recipient have the program that created the file, and have the same fonts, the formatting will be the same on both ends. Your typist is correct only if it's the case that the recipient tries to open the file in a different application and/or the fonts used to create the document are not available to the recipient.

There are several advantages to using PDF files: the formatting will be the same no matter the platform (you can embed fonts in a PDF file). Print shops are used to dealing with PDF files so it's a good format for exchanging information. If you're using Macintosh OS X, you can generate PDF files from any application when you print it. If you're using Windows, you'll need a third party app to create PDF files. The bad news is that Adobe Acrobat Standard will set you back around 300USD. The good news is that there are cheaper alternatives available for windows; search for "create pdf file" at Free Software Downloads and Software Reviews - Download.com.

Vasily

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Home-based word processing/typing business (part-time) [ 1 Answers ]

I'm a legal secretary/legal word processor in Los Angeles, CA. Preparing to move to the east coast and would like to work at home on a part-time basis. I performed a google.com search for home-based typing businesses and a million goofy business opportunities resulted. I see many people are...

True typing or word processing [ 5 Answers ]

I need help understanding why when you sign on for typing or word processing jobs, you are always swayed to marketing. I simply want to type jobs... that's all. Where do I go for that? Barb

Microsoft Word formatting [ 1 Answers ]

Hi there, I've been a technical writer for over 4 years now and I've never experienced the following problem until a few days ago. I've written a 200 page document for a client. When they open the document, MS Word asks them if they want to save the changes. It has obviously done something to...

View more questions Search