Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 1, 2007, 06:01 PM
    Well it depends on the state where this is, in my state (NC) all labor is a "right to work" (no Unions) Anyway NC, is also a "no lunch state" now no one would really tell you you can't take a lunch, they could. So it comes down to state laws (or lack off) and company policy. Most co. have polices set up because they know that at times supervisors will behave wrong and treat people unfairly. Generally co. will go by the rules of every state that they operate in. My advice, unless this job pays really good, get something else, and go to school and up your opportunities.
    Julie25 Posts: 37, Reputation: 5

Apr 1, 2007, 06:24 PM
    I live in Indiana... this is the best paying job and job experience I have had. I do plan on doing more schooling.. but I am an american and have rights... rights that all employers should honor.. and it seems to me that they aren't... so instead of backing down.. I was wondering what I should or shouldn't do
    RubyPitbull Posts: 3,575, Reputation: 648
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 06:34 PM
    Julie, you might want to invite a few of your legal coworkers who feel the same you do, to a gathering at your place or somewhere, and talk all this over. Print out info from all the web sites I have given you, including these:

IN.gov :: Labor and Employment

State Information Center

Look around these sites and find the answers to the questions you are looking for and what you can do about the situation. Give your friends copies of all the pertinent info.
    As a group you can decide how to proceed.

Apr 1, 2007, 06:50 PM
    To be honest.. there are probably only 3 of us that would do anything... How about I tell you where and when and you report us LOL. Its getting ridiculous. If you aren't sleeping with them or kissing their butts they make it a living he** for you. They have taken over... I will have to look around and gather the information. I just think we should clean house. For someone reason they are getting away with changing names and leaving and coming back with new identities.. definately does not make me want to go to work tomorrow. Thank you for your advice though I need all that I can get.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 06:58 PM
    Well, julie, you could ask one of your friends outside of the company to help you. Or you can contact ACLU and tell them what is going on. They might be very willing to report your company to the State of Indiana, Federal Gov't, or Immigration & Naturalization Service.

American Civil Liberties Union

But, if you are afraid it will come back to bite you in the butt, you might just be better off looking for another job. However, if they do have an illegal situation going on, someone at some point has to step up and do the right thing.

I wish you the best of luck dear in whatever you decide to do.
    Matt3046 Posts: 831, Reputation: 128

Apr 1, 2007, 07:03 PM
    Try contacting some unions, they will probably at least be able to give you some advice.
    Also see if you can locate some sort of american worker group, something that is dedicated to the rights of americans. There is always your right to sue, A good lawyer could help, and probably would consult for free.
    Ultra Member

Apr 1, 2007, 07:06 PM
    I don't know if just any lawyer would give free advice Matt. But, I did give Julie the link to the union and to ACLU, which is the group you were referring to. They might be the best option here. This way, they can do the dirty work of reporting the problem. INS would sit up and take notice, as would the state & fed govt's.

Apr 1, 2007, 07:45 PM
    You guys are great... I appreciate all the input. I just really am stuck in rock and hard place. No one has balls to step up.. I have been there sense day 1... no one I started with is there except 3 people.. its really tough, because I have been there 3 yrs and was the first female in the company on production side and first female to run a machine.. Now we only have 1 american operator and no women running machines.. the latinos do not believe in women being there. I just need support and if no where else looks like I have some here.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 2, 2007, 05:13 AM
    You have gotten a lot of support here, Julie. Even more you have gotten a lot of good info and references to bring this to for specific help.

I really find it hard to believe that, with the current publicity about illegal workers, the INS won't do anything. I suspect whoever told you something was reported and nothing done, was telling you that to forestall you doing something.

But, whatever you decide to do, you need to consider something. Its probable, this company has moved to illegal workers because, they can't afford to compete using legal workers. So if the whistle is blown, its very possible they will fold and you will be out of a job.

Apr 2, 2007, 06:26 AM
    You are right Scott I have gotten a lot of helpful resource that I will look into tonight. I appreciate all of it. As far as the false reporting, considering the source you are probably right. As far as not being able to afford them I highly doubt. We are a multimillion dollar company and its in its 4th generation. The margin keeps being set higher because we keep meeting it. I don't think it's that. I think its cheaper for them and more of a profit to not have legal employees that will stand up for there legal rights. I was told today.. that the production managers who are latino fought the breaks. Supposedly they were going to give breaks to them, and the head latinos said no we don't have time for that. So all the ones that do want a break here and there for whatever purpose.. just to relax lost that privilege because they(latino management) override.
    wordyweartees Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Apr 2, 2007, 06:42 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie25
    hello. my question is...in a manufacturing company, what is the law according to breaks?
    we work 8-12 hour shifts. some employees work 8, others 10 and about 70 work 12 hours. there are no set breaks. now we are starting a no smoking in the building policy and no one is to take a smoke break while punched in, nor are they allowed to punch out to go outside to take one. there has been a giant can of worms opened and we have many disgruntled employees on this. can someone point me in the right direction?
    Check with your state homepage. Mine is KY so I go to Kentucky.gov and search under wage and hour regulations. Breaks and lunchs are state mandated. It is required every employee receive arest period of 10 min for every four hours worked and lunch no sooner than 3hours but no later than 5 hours into your shift. Check with your state regulations. These apply to anyone doing business in the state and is not optional.

Apr 2, 2007, 01:37 PM
    I will have to research all of the information from everyone and see what happens. THank you to everyone for there replies.. I appreciate them all. If anyone else has anything or any information to comment on with this post please let me know.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pre labor/False labor [ 4 Answers ]

Ok odd question. How long can pre labor last? I have been having contractions since Sunday and they don't get any closer and/or change in intesity. I was just wondering since even with two previous births I have never before experienced this. I don't even know if it is pre labor or not. I just...

Florida laws on breaking a lease for work [ 5 Answers ]

I am currently living at my mothers. I have to move out in a month. I work for a storage facility. There was talk about me getting a promotion, so that I would have my own store. That would mean that I would live on the property. I can not live at my mother's any longer. The only apartment...

Labor soon? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello I am 36 weeks with my first child. I went to my doctor yesteday and he said I was dilated to a 2. Last night I woke up at 4:30 am because my stomach felt extremely tight kind of like contractions, but not regular. I couldn't go back to sleep. Could I be going into labor before I am expected...

Work/labor laws [ 6 Answers ]

Can a company legally work and employee 26 days straight with no time off?:confused:

View more questions Search