Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    CAMom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 05:02 PM
    Indian Divorce in CA, USA
    Hello All,

My husband and I are in a process of getting divorced. I am in CA and he is in a different state. I initiated the process and therefore CA court is handling this. My question is about the property we both own in India. It is in both our names - how do I file for a 50% share here in US?

Also, does anyone know of an attorney who specializes in cases like these?

Thanks for your help in advance.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
    It should be covered in your divorce under the community property laws. In your paperwork (decleration) you would claim it as property belonging to you (community). Then its up to the judge to decide if you can't agree on how the property is split.
    CAMom Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2012, 10:58 AM
    Hi CalifDadOf3,

Thank you for the response. Do you know of any Indian attorney in CA or an attorney who has experience in handeling such cases? My case is a little complicated because of the international property and both parties residing in different states in US. I would like to get an opinion from them too. It would be a great help if you could help in case you are aware of any such attorney's.

Regards.
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMom View Post
    Hi CalifDadOf3,

Thank you for the response. Do you know of any Indian attorney in CA or an attorney who has experience in handeling such cases? My case is a little complicated because of the international property and both parties residing in different states in US. I would like to get an opinion from them too. It would be a great help if you could help incase you are aware of any such attorney's.

Regards.
    Im not aware of any specifically and here at AMHD we aren't allowed to recommend any one attorney. But what you can do is call your local California Bar Association and they will be happy to make some recommendations. Then you can start the interview process to find one your comfortable with.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 05:23 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by CAMom View Post
    Also, does anyone know of an attorney who specializes in cases like these?
    An attorney who "specializes" in divorces between California residents and non-resident involving property located in India? I suspect that an attorney trying to make a go of it in such a narrow niche would starve.

I question whether a California court, in the context of a divorce between a Californian and a non-resident can adjudicate title to land in a foreign country. However it might be possible to order him to convey an interest in the property to you; if the court has personal jurisdiction over him.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Indian citizen studying in UK wants to go to USA [ 0 Answers ]

Hi I am an Indian studying MBA in UK. My ultimate goal is to go to USA. Can any one help me how to get my goal fulfilled. I applied for visiting visa and got rejected. I have VISA till jan 2012. Is there any other chance to go to USA? Suggest me the ways and opportunities with less complex. ***....

Indian jobs in usa [ 1 Answers ]

Being a indian how can I get a job in USA

Usa and indian income for taxes in usa [ 2 Answers ]

Myself and my wife are green card holders .my son,a us citizen gifts us some shares which we sell from time to time and use proceeds for our personal expenses.This totals around $11000 for 2006. In addition myself and my wife have indian income mainly from dividend and interest and also income...

View more questions Search