Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Peachipati Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 29, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Starting a Service Oriented Business in GA
    To include pet-sitting, house sitting, in home check on elders, in home sick child care etc.. I am a retired registered nurse, still holding valid license. Do I need bonding and insurance to start this business. I only plan to give out flyers and business cards in my own subdivision to begin with. Also , of course I have a valid Ga drivers license. Will offer transport of pets to/from grooming/vet. Transport of children to/from Drs/ practices.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jul 29, 2007, 08:30 AM
    You will need a business license of course. There are various types of insurance, if you are using your car for business then you will need to change your car insurance over for business use, if you use your home for busienss you will need special liablity insurance there.

Now forr insurance, if you have their dog or cat in your car and they escape who is going to pay for it, if they die while you have it, who is going to pay for it. And so on. If the elderly person falls when you are helping, are you going to pay their hospital bill out of your check book?
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 29, 2007, 08:30 AM
    You do have to have extra liability insurance (check with your insurance company) if you are carrying children in your car, you also have to have business insurance and people will want to know if you are bonded.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jul 29, 2007, 08:32 AM
    I think the best way to start is sit down and do a business plan, one page each side pros and cons of doing this type of business. It will be an expensive proposition. A good thought mind you and many do it. I would call some in similar businesses and pick their brains a bit. You don't have to say you are starting up, just get all the information you can regarding the different types of insurance and what they pay yearly for it.
    HBF Posts: 86, Reputation: 4

Aug 16, 2007, 07:29 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Peachipati
    to include pet-sitting, house sitting, in home check on elders, in home sick child care etc.. I am a retired registered nurse, still holding valid license. Do I need bonding and insurance to start this business. I only plan to give out flyers and business cards in my own subdivision to begin with. Also , of course I have a valid Ga drivers license. Will offer transport of pets to/from grooming/vet. Transport of children to/from Drs/ practices.
    You will definitely need insurance if you are going to handle children, pets and elderly. You want to protect yourself against anything that may happen. A rider on your insurance policy will also be a must. Bonding is to protect you against employee theft and is not required. Even if you are starting in your own neighborhood anything can happen (slip and fall, bite, etc). You want to protect yourself.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Starting a Cleaning Service. Advice? [ 10 Answers ]

I'm thinking about starting a cleaning service in my area, where I would specialize in cleaning rentals and brand new houses. I am currently out in my area talking to people to see if they think it would be a service they would use. So I really am just in the beginning stages. I'm wondering...

Starting a cleaning service [ 6 Answers ]

Hello experts, Im located in Louisville Ky and I was interested in starting a cleaning service without tuns of money invested. Some of the things I would like to know is were do I start in terms of utilities and supplies, and what are the best markets or clients best suited for this carrer...

Starting cleaning service [ 1 Answers ]

I'm Interested in starting a cleaning service in Georgia. What should I do first? Do I need a business license or a permit? What is the best way to star this business? Can I start this business from home?

Starting up in business [ 2 Answers ]

Hi please could you give me advice as to where I start , in starting my own cleaning firm. Where to go?any grants available etc thank you very much

View more questions Search