Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ianrogers76 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 27, 2010, 07:26 AM
    Why won't my bathroom tub and sink drain and water backs up in them both?
    The shower in my apartment has never dained well, I am always standing in water. All the sudden my bathroom sink drains slow. Also, when the sink starts to fill the water backs up in the tub. I can't shower now and have to brush my teeth in the kitchen.What should I do?
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 27, 2010, 08:06 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ;
    when the sink starts to fill the water backs up in the tub. I can't shower now and have to brush my teeth in the kitchen.What should I do
    You have a blockage downstream from the tub. The solution would be to remove the tub overflow [plate and stopper assembly and snake from there.(see images)
    You'll hit the return bend of the trap about18" down but once aroumd that you only have to put out 15 ' more of snake. Good luck, Tom
    Attached Images

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New bathroom sink backs up halfway, quickly drains, repeat.. no overflow in this sink [ 2 Answers ]

I just very proudly finished installing our new second floor bathroom sink drains. Two different vanities, two different walls. I ran the water steadily in both of them for 10 minutes. One works fine. The other backs up about halfway up the bowl, then suddenly quickly drains everything and...

Bathtub won't drain, water backs up into it from the bathroom sink [ 2 Answers ]

My bathtub won't drain. Gel drain cleaner did nothing except come back up into the tub. Now I have to scoop it and the water out. When I put water in the bathroom sink, it drains but the water level in the tub rises. Both are upstairs in the same room. The toilet in the same room flushes but...

Water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink. [ 6 Answers ]

Hello HELP! My situation is... water backs up into downstairs bathroom sink apparently after the upstairs shower has been used which is directly above the downstairs bathroom. Our house is around 40 years old. We have had people there before and opened up the wall on either side of the...

Slow Bathroom Sink Drain - but Tub and Toilet Drain Fine [ 4 Answers ]

I am hoping that someone can offer a suggestion to solve my problem. We recently purchased a 60 year old home. The sink in one of our bathrooms drains completely fine until the water has run for about 5 minutes and then all of a sudden it starts to back up and then drains very slowly. I have...

Drain/vent for bathroom sink and tub. [ 1 Answers ]

I have an older bathroom that I am redoing and the sink drain went through the floor with an "S" trap, which I understand is not allowed with new construction. Is there a way to go through the floor and have a legal trap or should I go with a "P" trap and put the drain in the wall? I have already...

View more questions Search