Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    schins Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

May 4, 2006, 04:10 PM
    Whirlpool washer model lsn1000hq0
    Hi,

New here. I have a whirlpool washer model lsn1000hq0, that will not agitate but will rinse and spin out. It tries to agitate but makes a loud noise and only goes in one direction. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

schins
    applguy Posts: 324, Reputation: 23

May 6, 2006, 03:21 PM
    A little more info if you can... What part are you looking at that is only going in one direction? Also, to try to understand your situation, during a normal cycle the washer will fill, agitate, drain and then spin. It does this succession two times, once for wash and the other for rinse. Exactly when do you notice the machine not agitating? How old is the machine (if you know)?

May 6, 2006, 08:03 PM
    Hi Applguy,

Bought this washer new in oct. 99. The machine will fill o.k. but when it goes to wash mode, the agitator only goes in a clock wise (?) direction and makes a loud thumping noise. I stopped the machine started it back up, same thing. Set it to drain and spin, that was o.k. The agitator seems to try to go back and forth but can't.

Thanks for responding,

schins

May 7, 2006, 09:08 AM
    The top half of the agitator should only go one way. The bottom half of the agitator goes both ways. This is accomplished with 4 small plastic pieces, called agitator dogs. If you hold the upper half while the unit is agitating, the top half should only advance on the forward stroke of the transmission. It should not move on the reverse stroke. These dogs do wear out eventually, and they usually make some funny noises when they do. Just be advised that with a small load or no load of clothing, this agitator will be noisier than usual. If you want to inspect your "dogs", you can do so by removing the fabric softener dispenser (if equipped) and the seal cap under that by pulling it straight up (wet with water before reinstalling, and make sure it bottoms out). The dogs are visible from this point. They will move in and out as you move the upper half of the agitator, and they should have 3 defined ribs that contact the inner surface of the agitator auger shell. If they miss or skip, or some are broken, you can replace the dogs with Whirlpool part number 80040, which should be readily available at any local appliance servicer, including Sears. If they need to be replaced, the agitator must be removed and separated, and I can help you with that if you wish.

May 7, 2006, 01:48 PM
    Applguy,

I looked at the agitator dogs that you mentioned, they look o.k. That being said, I really don't know. What I did do, was fill it up and statred the wash cycle and the agitator spindle went back and forth and there was no noise. I put the agitator back on and started it up, and the noise started back up. So I guess I will replace the dogs, and would appreicateit if you could tell me how to get the aigtator separated.

TIA, schins

May 8, 2006, 04:23 PM
    Well, I found out how to separate the agitator. Installed an agitator kit and replaced the thrust washer, and it still acts the same. I did notice that the bolt hole on thr bottom agitator piece was slightly wallowed, could this cause my problem? The spline on the spindle look o.k. and on the inside of the of the agitator looks o.k. But it still has the jerking motion in only one direction.

TIA, schins

May 8, 2006, 05:20 PM
    Sounds OK, but I'm wondering if you could give me the part numbers you installed so I know what you did. I'm unfamiliar with any "agitator kit" or "thrust washer". The ovaled bolt hole really shouldn't matter, since the bolt only holds the agitator down and the splines keep it centered and true; as long as the splines are nice and tight, I wouldn't think it would be an issue. Keep in mind, the top half of the agitator is supposed to move in only one direction; only the bottom half moves in both directions. It does seem like the problem is in the agitator, you simply have to determine if the problem is in the upper or lower half. Good agitator dogs will have 3 small "teeth" and when they fail, the teeth are usually gone. Examine the old ones to see if the large end is smooth on the end or not.

May 8, 2006, 08:03 PM
    The parts that I installed were: #285809 and #3951608. The dogs are not wore down, the tooth you are talking about shows a little wear. /the top part of the agitator goes in one direction. The bottom also only goes in one direction but it has a jerking motion.

May 10, 2006, 10:42 AM
    applguy,

Thanks for all your help. Found out the transmission was causing problem, had it replaced today.

schins

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Whirlpool Washer doesn't spin fast [ 14 Answers ]

Had trouble with spin cycle on Whirlpool Ultimate Care Washing Machine. Lid switch was bad so we replaced it. Worked fine for several weeks. Now, washer will spin slowly during spin cycle and empty most of water in tub. Tub will not spin at fast speed & some water is left in the machine. Can you...

Kenmore Elite Washer (Model#110.82873120) Spin Probs [ 5 Answers ]

I have the Kenmore Elite King Size Washer, Model#110.82873120. Last night it quit working on the "Spin" cycle. I can still hear and feel the cycle operating, but there is a "clicking" that goes on and the agitator doesn't spin, nor does it agitate during the cycle. The draining mechanism...

Whirlpool washer won't spin all the time [ 1 Answers ]

It goes through the wash cycle and won't spin.then at times it goes through the wash cycle and spins just fine.please help

Whirlpool washer leaves ring of oil [ 5 Answers ]

My 2 year old Whirlpool washer leaves an oil ring in the washer tub and on the agitator. I know it's the machine leaving the oil because I cleaned the oil ring off after each of several loads of clothes and the oil ring always returned. What is my machines problem if anyone out there knows?

Whirlpool washer [ 8 Answers ]

I just purchased a motor coupling for my washer but do not know how to install it can someone please tell me how to. Thank you.:

View more questions Search