Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    wjones007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 01:28 PM
    Replacing a white rodgers t-stat with a totaline?
    I am replacing a white rodgers thermostat (with emergency heat setting) that is controlling in floor heating in the main level of my house. It is non programmable. I am replacing it with a totaline p374-1800. The WR has a connection that is "E" that is jumper wired to W2. The totaline doesn't have this connector. Do I need this jumper wire? Will it still work?
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 01:41 PM
    Really depends upon how the original sysyem is wired. For some reason the older thermostat sems to have two stage heat capability. You will need to trace the wiring out to see what you have.

((The totaline doesn't have this connector.))

What connector? The E or the W2?
    wjones007 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 14, 2008, 01:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by wjones007
    I am replacing a white rodgers thermostat (with emergency heat setting) that is controlling in floor heating in the main level of my house. It is non programmable. I am replacing it with a totaline p374-1800. The WR has a connection that is "E" that is jumper wired to W2. The totaline doesn't have this connector. Do I need this jumper wire? Will it still work?
    The totaline does't have the E connector. For whatever it may help someone, original WR is an 1F89-211 (heat pump T-stat) although I don't have a heat pump.
    I believe the reason for this, was because it also originally controlled the forced air heat that heats the upstairs of the house (when the emergency heat kicked on). It didn't do it accurately, so the HVAC company installed a T-Stat upstairs to control the forced air ductwork (heating and cooling) while this WR downstairs now only controls the in floor heating.

Here is how the wiring was connected in the old WR:
    Wire Connection
    Blue C
    Red R
    Green G
    Brown O-B
    Yellow Y
    Jumper wire W2 to E
    hvac1000 Posts: 14,540, Reputation: 435
    Heating & Air Conditioning Expert

Mar 14, 2008, 02:30 PM
    If that is the case the jumper is not needed and W2 or E is not necessary.

If you are just using single stage heat.This is a diagram and instructions for your old thermostat.

With all the info below you will have all the wiring help anyone can give you for your system. As you will see without a heat pump O/B change over relay should not be necessary but you never know how they wired your system since it controls two systems at one time.

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6233.pdf

Wiring again

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/..._06_pg0179.pdf

And more info

http://www.white-rodgers.com/wrdhom/.../0037-6262.pdf

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

White rodgers Thermostats [ 6 Answers ]

The one I have is an older model. Brown cover -digital comfort set. Does anyone have instructions to get it running? It keeps flashing... nothing else

Replacing White-Rodgers Thermostat with Honeywell Digital [ 7 Answers ]

I am replacing a 13 yr. old White-Rodgers Mechanical thermostat (couldn't find model # on website) with a Honeywell 5-1-1 Digital thermostat. The wiring was as follows for White-Rodgers: Green = G Yellow = Y White = W Red = RH jumpered to RC The Honeywell has terminals for

White rodgers thermostat [ 1 Answers ]

I am starting to install a thermostat on a 1972 furnace with heating and air. I have four wires two green wires and one red and one black not sure how they hook up to the new thermostatwhich is atype 1f56w-444. If someone could please shed some light on this for me please help. Ron

White rodgers 90-113 [ 2 Answers ]

How to wire a relay

White-Rodgers thermostat... What does this mean? [ 2 Answers ]

Okay, I'm about to smash this thing up. I fell asleep with the AC turned off earlier and now I wake up and its 77 degrees in here and I'm sweating. So I go turn the AC unit back on, setting it on 75 degrees to start with because I know you aren't supposed to do more than 2 degrees at a time....

View more questions Search