Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Louffa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 09:49 AM
    Quitclaim or deed of gift?
    My husband and I are separated and we are currently in the process of dividing and settling our property. He remained with the house and is trying to refinance the house mortgages (original and home equity) as well as a loan we have for property we jointly own. One of the finance companies informed my husband that we would need to complete a quitclaim deed. When my husband discussed this with a lawyer he said it needs to be a deed of gift. HELP! I confused as to which form to use if either of these!
    I've already created a property settlement which stipulates that the house will be sold and that I am to receive half the proceeds of the sale. There are also other parts to the property settlement that are insignificant at this time. Can I incorporate the property settlement with either of these forms that I need to use?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2008, 09:52 AM

Is the house in both your names now? If so, for him to refinance, you would have to quit claim the property to him. In return for doing this, he would sign a property settlement agreeing to pay you half the procceds on the sale of the house.

Alternatively, you could both sign the refi.
    Louffa Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Oct 10, 2008, 10:06 AM

Thank you so much Scott! Presently both our names are on the title as well as the mortgages. I've already written a property settlement for the home in which I stated that I would receive half the proceeds from the sale. By writing a quitclaim deed and signing it I'm not jeopardizing my share in the house am I? The quitclaim will not take precedence over the property settlement?
    rockinmommy Posts: 1,123, Reputation: 82
    Ultra Member

Oct 10, 2008, 10:37 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Louffa View Post
    Thank you so much Scott! Presently both our names are on the title as well as the mortgages. I've already written a property settlement for the home in which I stated that I would receive half the proceeds from the sale. By writing a quitclaim deed and signing it I'm not jeopardizing my share in the house am I? The quitclaim will not take precedence over the property settlement?
    Yes, you are. Without a court-ordered divorce settlement, ordering him to pay you half the proceeds I, personally, would not take my name off that house. Actually, even with a court-order you may still have to take him back to court to enforce it. There's nothing I know of that will trigger 1/2 the money to come to you automatically - except having your name on there. Then they'll need your signature for the sale, so you would know it's happening.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 10, 2008, 10:42 AM
    He has to sign the property settlement and you should specifiy that you will be signing the property over to him in return for half the proceeds from a sale. But that means you will have to follow-up and make sure you know when the sale is made. As mommy said it won't be automatic. You might have to sue him, but with that settlement you would win.

It might be better for him to buy you out rather than wait for a sale.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

QuitClaim Deed [ 1 Answers ]

My grandma wishes to transfer her property to me using a QuitClaim deed, however she has an existing Will stating the property will be sold and separated among her living children. Does or Will the QuitClaim deed void her Will?

Add spouse to deed with quitclaim deed [ 3 Answers ]

My wife and I bought a lot from my parents but my dad died prior to transferring our names to the deed. This was subsequently placed on the back burner and overlooked for a couple of years until I noticed that the tax bills had my parents name on it. I contacted my mother and she signed a...

Quitclaim deed vs. Warranty deed [ 3 Answers ]

Years ago in Arkansas, I did a quitclaim deed to my brother for a house we had financed for our mom. Later when the lienholder had to foreclose on the property, they also came after me. I had the foreclosure on my credit record for 7 yrs. What I didn't know at the time was that I was giving up...

Quitclaim deed or grant deed? [ 2 Answers ]

Here is my problem... In order to buy my first home I had to have my mother put in her name because of my credit. I make all the payments in the two years I lived her and am ready to have the home in my name. What is the best way for us to do this??

Quitclaim Deed [ 3 Answers ]

I recently was married, and now would like to quitclaim half of my property to my new wife. I know, why would I ever do that! Well, because she will be quitclaiming half of her property to me! They are both condominiums, and we thought we could accomplish this without an attorney, as it seems...

View more questions Search