Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    hollydavis12345 Posts: 24, Reputation: 0

Aug 5, 2013, 07:35 AM
    ferret
    I want a ferret but I am trying to make it as cheap as possible I am only getting one ferret and I'm wondering if I should get a two level cage or a three level cage
    they two level cage Dimensions: 71.5x44.5x69cm
    and three level is Dimensions: 71.5x44.5x69cm

also do you know any other good cheap cages
    what do you think will be OK for one ferret
    thank you
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 07:41 AM
    Your best source is the breeder who is selling the ferret to you - obviously the more room, the better.

Then there is the practical side of things - if you cannot afford a large cage, want to "go" as inexpensively as possible, what are you going to do about Vet bills, particularly if it gets sick?

You can't manage the animals you have and have been extremely rude to people who have tried to help you. " ok rude did i say i was going to breed them urrmmm NO get your own facts right before you start moaning at a 11 year old as you said no one is a expert so please - GO AWAY"

As you said, you are 11 years old, attempting to mate reptiles - ? You have no business dealing in living, breathing animals.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 07:47 AM
    That actually sounds a little too small for a ferret.

One thing that concerns me is that you're "price shopping" when it comes to a living creature. Sure, I get it, we don't all have money... but you are going with a small cage just so you can afford it... with no real concern that this is a living animal that needs space.

Wait, don't buy one until you can afford to house it and take care of it properly. Buying it just because is not the way to do this.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 07:58 AM
    I have a friend and former coworker who has five ferrets. Having ferrets as pets is not a casual thing. They are very smart and need lots of space and are very curious. They also have a very pungent (even unpleasant) odor unless they have been de-scented.

Be sure you do a ton of research before you buy one. You will want to have money set aside for toys, food, vet visits, etc. Also, they are very social, so plan to spend a lot of time playing with and entertaining it.

Aug 5, 2013, 08:10 AM
    OK I can afford it but I don't want it to come to loads of money

Aug 5, 2013, 08:10 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Your best source is the breeder who is selling the ferret to you - obviously the more room, the better.

Then there is the practical side of things - if you cannot afford a large cage, want to "go" as inexpensively as possible, what are you going to do about Vet bills, particularly if it gets sick?

You can't manage the animals you have and have been extremely rude to people who have tried to help you. " ok rude did i say i was going to breed them urrmmm NO get your own facts right before you start moaning at a 11 year old as you said no one is a expert so please - GO AWAY"

As you said, you are 11 years old, attempting to mate reptiles - ? You have no business dealing in living, breathing animals.
    I can afford it I don't want it to come to loads of money
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 08:13 AM
    My friend has to go to a certain vet who deals with ferrets (many don't). Vet visits aren't cheap. I suggest you wait on getting a ferret until you are older and have a regular paycheck.

Aug 5, 2013, 08:14 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    That actually sounds a little too small for a ferret.

One thing that concerns me is that you're "price shopping" when it comes to a living creature. Sure, I get it, we don't all have money....but you are going with a small cage just so you can afford it...with no real concern that this is a living animal that needs space.

Wait, don't buy one until you can afford to house it and take care of it properly. Buying it just because is not the way to do this.
    OK the cage is 3.5 foot high
    1.4 feet wide
    2.25 feet long
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 08:19 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by hollydavis12345 View Post
    ok the cage is 3.5 foot high
    1.4 feet wide
    2.25 feet long
    My friend usually has her ferrets roaming free in a 10x12 bedroom with the cage open and sitting in a corner of the room. Ferrets don't like to be confined. When she was home from work, the ferrets had the run of the house (one-level, small house).
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 08:20 AM
    ok the cage is 3.5 foot high
    1.4 feet wide
    2.25 feet long
    That would probably be OK for a while but that doesn't measure out to anything you posted up there in your original question.

Aug 5, 2013, 08:23 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by odinn7 View Post
    That would probably be ok for a while but that doesn't measure out to anything you posted up there in your original question.
    Oh OK sorry but that's the right measurements
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 08:29 AM
    I know ferrets, my dad kept them. They need lots of room, like to roam and explore. Happy little critters and good pets.

Cage yes, so they can choose to sleep in it like a den. We have a chap here in town who walks his ferret on a leash. Good exercise.

I just hope you learn how to test them correctly.

Aug 5, 2013, 08:33 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    My friend usually has her ferrets roaming free in a 10x12 bedroom with the cage open and sitting in a corner of the room. Ferrets don't like to be confined. When she was home from work, the ferrets had the run of the house (one-level, small house).
    Yh when I'm home the ferret can be out as long as possible and the ferret will be out to fun around with toys and I will take good care of it

Aug 5, 2013, 08:36 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tickle View Post
    I know ferrets, my dad kept them. They need lots of room, like to roam and explore. Happy little critters and good pets.

Cage yes, so they can choose to sleep in it like a den. We have a chap here in town who walks his ferret on a leash. Good excercise.

I just hope you learn how to test them correctly.
    Yes I have done loads of research and when I am home the ferrets will be allowed out to roam free in my room with loads to space.also I am getting the ferret a harness and lead to take it for walks
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 08:48 AM
    Is your ferret going to be de-scented?
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 08:53 AM
    And desexed?

Let me show you the scar from the bite on my leg from a ferret which a person treated more like a dog and less like a ferret - understood ferrets not at all.

And, no, it didn't have current rabies shots, and that was an issue.

Aug 5, 2013, 08:53 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Wondergirl View Post
    Is your ferret going to be de-scented?
    Neutered/spayed

Aug 5, 2013, 08:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    And desexed?

Let me show you the scar from the bite on my leg from a ferret which a person treated more like a dog and less like a ferret - understood ferrets not at all.

And, no, it didn't have current rabies shots, and that was an issue.
    I am going to treat the ferret well and look after it
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Aug 5, 2013, 08:56 AM
    neutered/spayed
    That's not what I mean. If a vet doesn't remove the scent glands, plan on strong smells in your house.
    Uber Member

Aug 5, 2013, 09:10 AM
    "i am going to treat the ferret well and look after it"

You have been very blunt in your posts, and I am going to respond likewise. We think alike.

I don't think you know all about ferrets or you wouldn't be asking the question. I'm not saying you can't learn.

You need to treat the ferret like a ferret, and you need realistic expectations.

I am concerned because you were intending to mail reptiles. What happens when you get tired of the ferret?

And, yes, they smell.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

New ferret [ 3 Answers ]

All right, I know some of you are not going to like this post but.. Im getting another ferret this evening, its kind of an emergency situation, the ferret was left in an apartment building when the owner moved out, the owner left the supplies as well as vet records so obviously they wanted to...

Deaf Ferret? [ 10 Answers ]

I recently discovered my little ferret is deaf, we have a ferret who can hear as well. Anyway when my deaf ferret is playing with my other ferret he hurts her. I've read on websites that it is because he can't hear her screaming. Is there anything I can do? Do they need to be separated or can she...

Getting a ferret. [ 9 Answers ]

I am looking into getting a ferret, I've always wanted one and think they would make an interesting pet. I'm just wondering what do you guys think? What are some pros and cons? What do you NEED to have? What would be some things ferrets WANT? It would be in a three or four level cage (Not to sure...

Getting a new ferret. [ 19 Answers ]

Hello, I am 14 and I am going to be getting a job this march. My mom said I could either get a ferret or a cat, I think I'm going to get the ferret just because they seem so much more fun. But I am wondering what the basic's ill need? And the size of cage?. also I have a female rabbit, and I was...

Feisty Ferret [ 1 Answers ]

I have a baby ferret (kit) and I am having a hardest time potty training him. I have tried a few things. I put his "stuff" in the litter box and will still use the restroom in other parts of his cage. I also moved his litter box to where he was using the restroom the most and he'll go somewhere...

View more questions Search