Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gemmapollitt Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Aug 25, 2008, 01:17 AM
    Is my 4 year old son gifted?
    Hi. I believe my son who's nearly four may be gifted. Since a very young age he has been ablt to do so many things. He can count endessly and count backwards. He can do a bit of addition, can spell quite a lot of words, his full name, and most of our family members names. He can read books and often reads books to himself. He knows all his colours, most of his shapes, days of the week and most of his months. If we are out he will read things off buses, boards, etc. He knows 99% of car makes and models. The list goes on. Thanks for your help.
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 25, 2008, 01:34 AM
    Wow, what a lot of things that he can already do that are advanced for his age! Sounds to me like he is gifted! But, you won't really know for sure and be able to place him in the appropriate learning situations until you do get him tested by professionals.

Is there such a service in the educational system where you are located, please?

Thanks!
    ShaydeN Posts: 20, Reputation: 3

Aug 25, 2008, 02:13 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by gemmapollitt
    Hi. I believe my son whos nearly four may be gifted. Since a very young age he has been ablt to do so many things. He can count endessly and count backwards. He can do a bit of addition, can spell quite alot of words, his full name, and most of our family members names. He can read books and often reads books to himself. He knows all his colours, most of his shapes, days of the week and most of his months. If we are out he will read things off buses, boards, etc. He knows 99% of car makes and models. The list goes on. Thanks for your help.
    well... how often does he spend time with other family members and how much? If he can count forwards.. maybe someone tought him to count backwards... but if not.. then yea.. maybe your child is gifted.. and if he is.. when he gets older... dont put him in any speacial classes or any higher grades... or else he won't fit in more... as in other words.. dont put any pressur eon the poor kid... =)

-ShaydeN

Aug 26, 2008, 01:50 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Clough
    Wow, what a lot of things that he can already do that are advanced for his age! Sounds to me like he is gifted! But, you won't really know for sure and be able to place him in the appropriate learning situations until you do get him tested by professionals.

Is there such a service in the educational system where you are located, please?

Thanks!
    Not sure. Been trying to find out but no one will help. I think they think I'm exaggerating but I'm not.

Aug 26, 2008, 01:56 AM
    I don't put pressure on him. He voluntarily does it off his own back. Of course we have taught him but only to the extent he wants to learn. We never pressurize him into doing anything he doesn't want to do. All these thing are things that he enjoys doing. Hes the same at preschool. His teacher told me that he loves numbers and reading. I would love for the education authority to take me more seriously. Is there any tests that children can do to see their potential? Thanks!
    Clough Posts: 26,677, Reputation: 1649
    Uber Member

Aug 26, 2008, 02:27 AM
    Where are you located, please? At this point it would be helpful to know that in case someone might come along who knows about the learning programs and testing facilities concerning this near where you are located.

Thanks!

Aug 26, 2008, 03:04 PM
    Hi, I'm from Fleetwood (Near Blackpool) in the United Kingdom.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 03:11 PM
    While he very well may be gifted, I would like to warn you about labeling a child this way. At age 4 he may very well be normal once he gets to school and the labels placed upon gifted children can be detrimental. You see, I have a gifted child, and it has been documented that he is gifted. He struggles in school now, as he was labeled this 2 years ago. The other children have finally caught up to him and they are equals. However, due to the "label" he is expected to do more and do better than every one else. He is 6 now and in first grade.

He is now hating to go to school, gets a tummy ache when it comes time for homework, etc. While we want our children to be the best they can be, sometimes the word "gifted" comes at a price.
    Ammaniti Posts: 3, Reputation: 3

Aug 26, 2008, 03:32 PM
    He may well be gifted, but he could just be enthusiastic. I'd say the best thing to do is get him IQ tested.
    NNT12 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Aug 26, 2008, 03:37 PM
    I don't think you should say your son is "gifted" if he's able to do these things at such a young age then you should be proud of him.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 03:37 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ammaniti
    He may well be gifted, but he could just be enthusiastic. I'd say the best thing to do is get him IQ tested.

IQ tests can be highly inaccurate for a four year old. Encourage him to grow, but don't pressure him.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Aug 26, 2008, 03:40 PM
    Tuscany agrees: Yep that is what I was going to say
    Tus my beautiful dear friend. Don't know if you remember when Little J had the brigance test and was labeled as gifted, but he is having quite a hard time in first grade fitting in.

While we all want our children to be smart, bright, brilliant in fact, it is still best to just let them be children.
    Tuscany Posts: 1,049, Reputation: 229
    Ultra Member

Aug 26, 2008, 05:55 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by J_9
    Tus my beautiful dear friend. Don't know if you remember when Little J had the brigance test and was labeled as gifted, but he is having quite a hard time in first grade fitting in.

While we all want our children to be smart, bright, brilliant in fact, it is still best to just let them be children.
    Oh J that is so common... I hope things are better for him this year.
    alleged83 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Aug 31, 2008, 06:22 PM
    I teach gifted students. Giftedness is about more than just early knowledge. Though that chracteristic is true of gifted children, it is not the only or even the best indicator of high intelligence. However, if he is deeply curious about certain topics or just very curious about an array of topics, he may very well be gifted. There are many types of gifted IQ tests. A psychometrist can test your child. Usually around the age of 7, a child is ready for that type of testing for accuracy. And, even if not labeled gifted, your child is doing amazingly well! :)
    isabelle Posts: 309, Reputation: 31

Sep 10, 2008, 01:39 PM
    I don't like the word "gifted". Twice now my school has suggested that my child skip a grade. I have said no. It is not only academic. It is social. I don't want her to leave her friends and be in with older children who do things and talk about things that she may not understand or be ready for.
    She is 10 and just made it to school at the last minute as her birthday is July 31, and the cut-of is August 1. Most kids are already 1 year older than she is. If she had skipped 2 grades she would really be a lot younger than the rest of the children.
    Enjoy your child and wait until he has a few years of school under his belt before you begin to label him. If he is "gifted", take your time in deciding what to do. Don't forget to find out what he wants to do.
    linnealand Posts: 1,088, Reputation: 216
    Ultra Member

Oct 21, 2008, 05:01 PM

I am concerned about the amount of fear people associate with the subjects related to gifted children.

Gifted children have special needs that warrant being challenged appropriately. Of course, this doesn't mean that social aspects and exceptional pressures to achieve should not be taken seriously. But gifted programs are really a privilege for children who might otherwise feel so bored that they would fall into other kinds of problems.

I was in gifted programs throughout my childhood, and I thank my lucky stars that I was able to partake in them. One of the best aspects was being able to play with other gifted children. My parents decided not to have me skip grades, and I am happy with that decision, but I was able to study certain subjects with classes that were three years above me.

Four years old may be young, but many very children are able to demonstrate signs of being gifted just the same.

You can find much more information on gifted children here:

Characteristics and Behaviors of the Gifted

Intellectual giftedness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Gifted Children: A Guide for Parents ... - Google Book Search

http://felix.unife.it/Root/d-Mensa-f...ifted-children

Gifted Children Monthly - Identification, Encouragement, and Development of Gifted and Talented Children.
    chris1975 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Aug 12, 2011, 03:32 PM
    My 4 year old son is the same, he can read and spell almost anything I am not joking! He can even spell words my husband cant. He has been able to read anything since being about 3. I have been told by many people that he is very advanced for his age but obviously I don't this as I have never had a 4 year old before so I can't compare! Does anyone know what a 4 year old should be able to do? Thanks

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2 year old gifted or very bright? [ 60 Answers ]

Hi everyone, The director of the day care where my son goes twice a week believes that he may be gifted. She wants to have him assessed. I have done a lot of reading up on this subject, and have looked at the characteristics of gifted children... but I am still not sure if he is just very...

Is HE Gifted?5 year old spiritually inclined [ 41 Answers ]

On the last posting... just in case any one wonders... My 5 year old doesn't see my in laws... they live out of state. My husband is in the military. And My family although Catholic, are non practicing Catholics. We know there is no way he could have been told these things by either side...

5 year old child, is he gifted? [ 10 Answers ]

I have a son who is 5 , he can read books especially the car magazines and he has learnt about cars independently mostly without my help and he knows almost all the cars that are in magazine. I happen to see that he has already finished his lessons, he knows poems, stories without seeing the books....

Do you think my 5 year is gifted [ 11 Answers ]

Are you able to tell me if this is Asperger of Giftness Traits? My 5 year always been different since birth. Never slept through the night, very fussy, very picky with eat at birth. But now he's 5 years old and he's *Very demanding *Impatience *Emotionally sensitive *Curious of...

Is my 5 year old son gifted or just a quick learner or is their a difference [ 3 Answers ]

We have a 5 year old son who picks up on things very quickly he has not started kindergarten yet he will start next year. He can count to 100 by ones and by 10's , he can count to 15 in Spanish he knows the oceans of the earth can spell his name his brothers name mommy daddy grandma and grandpa. ...

View more questions Search