Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    popritz Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2011, 07:31 PM
    Workmanship guarantee
    I received a contract to replace my windows with Andersen Windows (New Construction) from a local contractor. The windows were ordered through Home Depot and delivered to my garage.

The contract states, " __________________ gives a 20 year workmanship guarantee on all work."

What would you suggest to be included as the specifics to cover/define this statement?
    Contractor suggested if the window fails it would be removed and replaced with Andersen providing the window. His contract only has the above statement in quotation marks.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 15, 2011, 07:44 PM
    Open any one of the boxes and read the enclosed Andersen guarantee. It covers defects in the window and failure of double glass. You should inspect the boxes now for exterior damage and the windows themselves as soon as possible (you'll have a ton of cardboard and plastic).

You say replacement windows then new construction?
    If new, you want the framing to be to code, the windows plumb and level, the flanges caulked with 20 year silicone, drip edges at tops if needed, any sheathing to be CDX covered with Typar, and so on to the type of siding and trim, and inside any extension jambs and trim. You want 1/2" gaps filled with fiberglas insulation, or foam in a can if tiny (done only when warm enough).

Read the instructions yourself so that you know the contractor is following instructions. They are pretty easy and he should know them. Leave the film on the glass until the very end.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 07:49 PM

Most warranty will follow only that of the manufactor of that product. In almost all cases if there is a dispute with the actual contractor ( if any stay in business long enough to be here in 5, 10 or more years) So in most cases if there is a issue, the window would be sent back to the manufactor of the window and they decide if they will cover it under warranty or not.

If the construction company is also going to warranty their work they should be specific that the labor is also covered by them.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Feb 15, 2011, 07:59 PM
    Such things as:
    • Proper selection and application of all necessary stains, finishes, calks, flashing, fasteners, etc.
    • Receipt from the vendor, and inspection to determine that the windows are in good condition at that time;
    • transportation to the job-site, and installation.
    • Any other installation-related process, but not any issue with the manufacture or shipping of the windows.

I suspect that the contractor is endeavoring to cover anything that goes wrong within 20 years, except a problem that Anderson caused. The problem is that it may be difficult to determine what caused the problem, 19 years from now. You don't want to have to argue which it is.

How long is Anderson's warranty?
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Feb 16, 2011, 04:14 AM
    Oh, and another biggie: cleanup and removal of debris.
    Unless you are saving money by doing that yourself.
    Watch out for those pesky nails in the driveway.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Money back guarantee? [ 7 Answers ]

I bought an ebook from a site that offers a money back guarantee. I wanted to return it and I emailed them, but they never responded. What do I do? And can these money back guarantees be trusted? Because I was thinking about buying something else from another site which also offers a money back...

Rental guarantee service suite [ 2 Answers ]

What are the pros and cons of owning a rental guaranteed service suite?

Bank guarantee [ 1 Answers ]

How much the deposit or cash cover as security to issue Bank Guarantee or Letters of Credit from bank rate AAA ?

Guarantee [ 1 Answers ]

If I change electronic dictionary for guarantee and new dictionary breaked too, I have new guarantee or not according law?

View more questions Search