Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tamjhorner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 23, 2009, 09:06 AM
    Interior concrete floors over the existing concrete slab
    Can you put an interior decorative concrete floor over an existing concrete slab that now is carpeted
    creahands Posts: 2,854, Reputation: 195
    Ultra Member

Apr 23, 2009, 10:25 AM

Hi tamjhorner

I have concrete over existing slab and it seems fine. Been down about 10 yrs.

It is 3 inches thick with wire mesh in it.

Be sure to remove carpet and adhesive used to hold carpet down.

Good luck

Chuck
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Apr 23, 2009, 10:26 AM

You can but have you considered what to do with all your door jams and other fixtures in the home including transitions to other rooms?
    tamjhorner Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Apr 24, 2009, 08:58 AM
    No not really. What are my options?
    pattyg2 Posts: 480, Reputation: 27

Apr 24, 2009, 11:21 AM
    There is an overlay concrete product that you can use but I just acid etch the concrete and either stain it or prime it with concrete bonding primer and faux paint it. I seal it with a few coats of water based poly and then apply a few coats of ZEP high trafiic floor finish.
    I am doing a concrete floor right now to resemble mahogany wood floors.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Any advise on concrete staining of interior floors? [ 3 Answers ]

We are contemplating replacing the tile and carpet with concrete staining. Will the marks from the tile show when the concrete is stained? Are the floors easy to maintain?

How to pour concrete over existing patio slab [ 5 Answers ]

We want to expand our kitchen out over an existing patio concrete slab. Approximately 7ft by 14ft. To bring the area level to the house, we will need to pour the new concrete 2 inches deep. How should we prep the area? Our plan is to lay a moisture barrier on top of the new slab and glue...

Rearranging plumbing on existing concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

Hi Folks: Thank you in advance for any help/advice you can give. :) We knocked out a closet to enlarge our bathroom from 4'8"x9'6" to 7'2"x9'6". Our old plumbing (vanity, toilet & shower) were all arranged on the 9'6" north wall. Please see the top picture. The drawing shows how we'd like...

Pouring interior concrete slab over existing, cracked concrete slab [ 4 Answers ]

I am turning part of my carport into a new living room. I am going to pour a concrete slab about 4 inches thick over the existing carport floor which is a concrete slab. The existing slab has a few cracks, the largest of which is about an 1/8in. Wide and raised about an 1/8in. What would be the...

Install a toilet in existing concrete slab [ 1 Answers ]

How far do I go out from the exterior wall? What do I cut the concrete with? Thanks!!

View more questions Search