Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    boymarine Posts: 1, Reputation: 2

Oct 10, 2005, 05:05 PM
    Merging Word files into one large file
    I have book pages stored as five files of 15 pages each. Is there a way to combine them into one large file?
    Thank you.
    StuMegu Posts: 576, Reputation: 64

Oct 11, 2005, 01:00 AM
    Have you tried simply selecting all the text in the document using CTRL+A and copying to the new document (CTRL+C to copy & CTRL+V to paste).

Just make sure your cursor (flashing vertical line) is in the place where you want to paste the copied text. Repeat the procedure for each of the documents.
    RickJ Posts: 7,762, Reputation: 864
    Uber Member

Oct 11, 2005, 03:44 AM
    Funny coincidence: I just had this same question a couple months ago.

MS Word does not have a Merge or Add Page function, so copy or cut and paste, as StuMegu suggests, is what we're stuck with until Mr. Gates adds the feature to Word.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Oct 15, 2005, 02:06 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by boymarine
    I have book pages stored as five files of 15 pages each. Is there a way to combine them into one large file?
    Thank you.
    As the others said, you need to cut and paste to put them together. However Word does have a Master document feature. This feature allows you to create a shell that includes other documents. This is commonly used when chapters in a book are kept in separate files.
    Uber Member

Oct 15, 2005, 03:37 PM
    Hey, thanks for that addition . Sounds like something I can probably make use of.

Oct 16, 2005, 06:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    Hey, thanks for that addition . Sounds like something I can probably make use of.
    Rick,
    I use it for my department in putting together our SOP documents. Different staffers have responsibility for different departmental functions. So we have separate files for each function. Each file uses a standard template that has specific styles assigned to text elements (like headings, specialf paragraph types etc.).

We then have a master document that includes all the individual documents. Numbering is then consistent throughout. We can generate tables in the master to show the correct page numbering.
    SueB Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 17, 2005, 07:40 AM
    Thanks
    Thank you ScottGem. I have been panicking about merging the constituent chapters of my doctoral thesis, not least since earlier versions of Word and earlier computer builds supplied by my university were falling over often at the volume of data, styles, diagrams, tables etc. even in one chapter; and yet the need to have real cross-references, rather than yet more stuff to update later, has been getting increasingly urgent. I am about to embark on converting to master and sub documents (I have lots of backups) - wish me luck!

Nov 18, 2005, 05:55 AM
    Good luck. Master docs work! If you encounter any problems we'll be here.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 06:26 AM
    What about Insert > File? That doesn't do the trick?
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 06:35 AM
    I just tried that, and oddly enough, all it did was enter the file name (of the chosen word doc) at the point where my curser was when I did it.
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 06:55 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by rickj
    I just tried that, and oddly enough, all it did was enter the file name (of the chosen word doc) at the point where my curser was when I did it.
    What version of Word are you using? I'm using Word 2003 here and doing Insert>File brings up a Insert File dialog box where I choose which file to open, when I select the file and click Insert then the contents of that Word doc are inserted in the current document.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 07:20 AM
    I'm using Office2002.
    I'll check for Office updates that might include a fix.
    Uber Member

Nov 18, 2005, 07:26 AM
    I just checked. No Word updates available. Oh well... I'll put it on my list of stuff to bring up with Bill G. next time I have him over for a drink :p

This is related to a little story I have about MS problems:

I use Streets & Trips... and there's a bug in it. I found it in the 2003 version, and emailed them reporting the bug - expecting to never hear from them of course.

... but they actually called me on the phone to walk them through it! Later a Supervisor called me to walk him through it too!

Yes, it swelled my head a bit that Microsoft would call me asking me about it... but it was all for naught: the 2005 version has the same problem.

I guess not enough people complained about it for them to fix it.
    keyscl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 09:33 AM
    Mergining separate files
    People often have separate files making up chapters or parts of another document. One way is the Copy & Paste, opening the smaller file, copying it, then pasting it into the destination file.

A better way is to place your cursor where you want the new chapter to begin, or the start of the smaller file, and simply choose "Insert > From File" from the main menu. Browse to the location of the smaller, "part" file, and double click the name. It'll open the file and place it at the cursor's insertion point.

I've worked with the Master Document feature, but in all my years of working with MS Office, I've never encountered anyone, ever, anywhere, who's had success with this concept. In theory, you open a "master document," then place hyperlinks to the smaller, "subdocuments." These would be the 5 smaller files you want to merge into the larger 'master' file.

You can collapse or expand the master document, reading and even sometimes editing the subdocuments, but leaving the original small files elsewhere. In theory, they could be on a network, with the master document being on your own machine. The problem is how Microsoft and Word examine "protection." The headaches associated with the process make it nearly useless.

Best solution is simply to chooes Insert > From file, and be done with it.

Nov 21, 2005, 10:48 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keyscl
    I've worked with the Master Document feature, but in all my years of working with MS Office, I've never encountered anyone, ever, anywhere, who's had success with this concept. In theory, you open a "master document," then place hyperlinks to the smaller, "subdocuments." These would be the 5 smaller files you want to merge into the larger 'master' file.

Best solution is simply to chooes Insert > From file, and be done with it.
    I guess you haven't met me. I have used Master Document several times with success. Its not the easiest thing to work with, but if the need is to to have different people working on different parts of a document it's the best solution.
    keyscl Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Nov 21, 2005, 11:19 AM
    Merging Word Files & Master Documents
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottGem
    I guess you haven't met me. I have used Master Document several times with success. Its not the easiest thing to work with, but if the need is to to have different people working on different parts of a document its the best solution.
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, or has no use. What I'm only saying is that it's such a pain in the butt to use, that everyone who does use it complains and tries to find an easier solution. If there's no other way, and the documents are absolutely part of a group project, then we're stuck with the Master document concept. It works; it's just not elegant, smooth, simple, and easily explained to other people. In this instance, the need was only to consolidate 5 documents into a single one, presumably on the individual user's own hard drive. :-) As you say, "not the easiest things to work with."

Nov 22, 2005, 06:26 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by keyscl
    I'm not saying it doesn't work, or has no use. What I'm only saying is that it's such a pain in the butt to use, that everyone who does use it complains and tries to find an easier solution. If there's no other way, and the documents are absolutely part of a group project, then we're stuck with the Master document concept. It works; it's just not elegant, smooth, simple, and easily explained to other people. In this instance, the need was only to consolidate 5 documents into a single one, presumably on the individual user's own hard drive. :-) As you say, "not the easiest things to work with."
    Its really not as difficult as you make it out to be. Word help details exactly how to do it and following those instructions make it work fine.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Internet place to store large files [ 5 Answers ]

Are there any sites where you can upload-download large files (for free) as to exchange them with other guys? Thank you

MS Word - Display file location [ 1 Answers ]

Currently I have Word set to display the file location at the bottom of the page... but now I forget how I set that, and can't find it in help. Can someone remind me how to set this and turn it off and on? Thanks!

Large Log file [ 1 Answers ]

My laptop keeps coming up saying that the HDD is nearly full. I do a check of how much free space I have and sometimes it's as little as 14KB. After doing a search around the HDD I always find that the file C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\WMI\trace.log is 16GB or so. I just delete the file and the...

Merging 2 Excel files [ 4 Answers ]

I've got a specialized Excel Form that we use to transcribe groups of records: Here's an example: http://catholicrecordsociety.org/projects/stjosephorphanasylum/volunteers.html (you need to have Macros Enabled) You'll see that the Card Tab is for entering Records and the Spreadsheet is...

Making several doc files into a single file [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I have several word 97 doc files. I wd like to make them all into a single file. Is there an easy way of doing it instead of doing manually inserting each file into current file? 2. Can MP3 files be compressed? Thanks for the reply. Ramdas ?

View more questions Search