Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Lacey19 Posts: 193, Reputation: 9

Apr 20, 2007, 03:35 AM
    First Scan
    I have my first scan on the 2nd may when I will be 13weeks. Im not too sure on what to expect! Any ideas?
    curlybenswife Posts: 2,477, Reputation: 267
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 03:45 AM
    Not an awfull lot lol to be honest you will know it's a baby but the difference between that and 20 weeks is amazing. They will just be checking blood flow and heart rate and measurements nothing to worry about.

P.s forgot to say lots of luck your going to leave that hospital thinking WOW
    Adrienne522 Posts: 10, Reputation: 1

Apr 20, 2007, 04:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Lacey19
    I have my first scan on the 2nd may when i will be 13weeks. Im not too sure on what to expect! Any ideas?
    I was so amazed with the first scan that I had. I had a picture in my hands of MY baby that is inside of me. The reality set in with that picture. I was able to see his hand, his profile. It was quite amazing.
    automansgirl Posts: 467, Reputation: 42

Apr 20, 2007, 08:21 AM
    I've had two u/s already and I'm only 8 weeks today. My doc is one of those who likes to make sure things look good from the start. The difference between 5.5 weeks and 7.5 weeks is huge. The baby is only about the size of a peanut now, but just seeing him/her was incredible. At 13 weeks they should be able to do the on-the-belly u/s. You will be amazed! It is truly incredible!
    alkalineangel Posts: 2,391, Reputation: 323
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 08:27 AM
    Yes, you will really feel like a mother. It will help with all the problems yo were facing earlire, make you feel better about being pregnant. It will probably move somewhat and you will be able to make out features. Im afraid you will not know the sex at this point, but it is still fun. Bring a blank video tape, they will record if you ask them to. I have ultrasounds on tape from my son, and he loves to watch them.

Apr 20, 2007, 08:49 AM
    Angel- I tried to rate you on this answer, but it wouldn't let me. The video tape thing is a great idea! I will do that on my next scan!
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 08:55 AM
    Those sorts of scans here cost an absolute fourtune 2 years ago for a 3d and dvd of the scan it was over 500 pounds. Im afraid on the nhs you just get the normal scan unless you are loaded that is.
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 08:59 AM
    Mine was just a normal black and white scan... the one that was covered under insurance. I got one at 12 weeks and another at 22 weeks. Those are the ones I video taped. I didn't get one of the fancy ones, although they are only around $100 here... dont know the currency conversion... but $100 is pretty reasonable.. my friend had one and it was amazing, and she got a lot of prints...
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 10:02 AM
    Well lets put it this was pounds to dollars you double so it would be about 980 dollarswith the exchange rate how scary is that.
    The 3d ones are amazing I was lucky my gyno had a new machine and was chief of the department so I always got the good machine and decent pics.
    We get it all free here unless we go private or want extra scans then you get charged but then its not really free as we pay national insurance as a monthly cut taken from our wage.

Apr 20, 2007, 10:07 AM
    Wow! We have to pay for everything here. I'm fortunate enough that my husband has really really good insurance, and I haven't had to pay anything. Usually with regular insurance (which can cost a lot) you have to at least pay a $20 co-pay each visit. Then they can bill you for whatever the insurance company doesn't cover. A friend of mine doesn't have insurance and just had her 20 scan. It cost her $587, and that was with a discount! Some insurance companies will only cover one scan, even if you are high risk and have to have 12! It's so expensive!
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 10:07 AM
    OMG! That is almost what I paid in doctors bills from the delivery itself. I would never pay that for an ultrasound. That's insane@!@ I would rather have national insurance than the way it works now in the US...
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 10:10 AM
    Yeah I pay 15 copay and 20% of all medical care... and I have a 250 dollar deductible... and then of course the medication which ranges anywhere from $10-$70 a prescip. Refill... I wish we had national insurance... it would hurt less coming out of the check than in one lump sum...
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 10:21 AM
    Yeah but you have to remember that we have waiting lists as long as the country it took me a 8 months wait just to have my wisdom teeth out and 6 to have a bowel biopsy the set up may be better but trust me your treatment is a dam site lot better than here there just aren't enough dr's and nurses or midwives come to that the area I live in they put out warnings last month to all expectant mums don't have baby's at home as they don't have the midwives to cover it.

Apr 20, 2007, 10:36 AM
    Wow, it sounds like the idea national insurance is a good idea, but that the care is just unavailable! We could really use a national insurance here in the states, but it would work better if it were elective. Most companies here don't offer health insurance, or if they do it can be low coverage for a lot of money. I guess there are pros and cons to both sides
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 10:40 AM
    Oh yes there sure is you would think though wouldn't you in this day and age they would have come up with a decent solution by now. Ho hum
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 11:05 AM
    You would think... but that is government leadership for you... they only care for one thing...
    Well I'm sorry, I think we have officially hijacked this post... Sorry Lacey :o
    Ultra Member

Apr 20, 2007, 12:36 PM
    Im sure she won't mind after all its not like it was off topic. ;)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Scan showed nothing, what now? [ 2 Answers ]

:confused: I was/am? Just 6 weeks pregnant. I had to go to hospital for an internal scan today as I had a light bleed 3 days ago with cramp. Both scans showed no problems with my ovaries and there was no sac in my womb. I then had blood test for hcg level. Have to go back on Friday for another test...

How do I scan [ 4 Answers ]

I have an all in one print scan copy. How do I know it is connected to the computer? Is that proven in that I can pri9nt from AOL to the printer... then how come it doesn't scan when I am in word it says I am not connected... u know?

MSword requesting virus scan-?help [ 4 Answers ]

I have a problem with MSword. When I open a doc it takes a while and when I finally get word open there is a note on the bottom bar saying "requesting virus scan". Then it loads the document. I run a fast PC, late version of word, scan for virus with norton (updated weekly). Any thoughts on...

Virus scan program [ 5 Answers ]

Can someone help me with a good and free virus scanner? Bye boud

Scan disk for Windows 98SE [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to use the scan disk but it doesn't work. It says there isn't enough memory, or close down programs. I don't understand. My computer says there is about 70% of free space left, and I close down the programs before trying to use the scan disk. In fact before I never had any...

View more questions Search