Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dancer123456 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Oct 27, 2010, 04:07 PM
    Does the color of water affect its evaporation rate?
    C
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Oct 27, 2010, 08:16 PM
    Outside, with the sun shining on it, I would think a darker solution would adsorb sunlight more efficiently and would get warmer and hence evaporate more rapidly than a colorless liquid. Inside I'm not sure there would be much difference. This is where Science comes in -- don't look for opinions, do an experiment yourself. Here is an easy way, no sophisticated equipment needed: get a pencil, a short board and two cups, one with water the other with old coffee. Let them sit overnight to equilibrate the temperatures. Sit the cups on the board, balance the board on the pencil. See which way the board tilts if one evaporates faster than the other. A Science Fair project!!
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2010, 10:22 AM

Hm... I would tend to think that it depends on what you used as colourant...

If you used a volatile liquid, the evaporation rate would appear faster...

If you used a viscous liquid, the evaporation rate would appear slower...

If you now use something that will somehow bind with water molecules (through hydrogen bonding for example), the evaporation rate will appear slower again...
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Oct 28, 2010, 02:48 PM
    I think the colorant should be in low concentration or we shouldn't refer to the solution as "water". The emphasis in this question should be only the color. Other physical property changes should be minimized in a good experiment.
    I think you [/I]CANNOT[I] have a dark colored, volatile liquid. You could dissolve a dark pigment in a volatile liquid but that's not fair -- of course it will evaporate faster.
    The same considerations go with viscosity modificatons; they are affecting more than just the color.
    Of course you could add the UNCOLORED solvent and see how it compares with the colored version. That would be fair and we could extrapolate the results to a theoretical "pure" water.
    Unknown008 Posts: 8,076, Reputation: 723
    Uber Member

Oct 28, 2010, 10:41 PM

As you said, only experiments will tell us :)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Water evaporation control in dams [ 3 Answers ]

I have developed a product and process for control of water evaporation from dams. The quality of water also does not change and remains fit for human intake, agricultural use. This is new invention of its kind around the globe! I have to develop the prototype of the invention and produce...

How does temperature affect the rate of a reaction [ 1 Answers ]

How does temperature affect the rate of a reaction

Evaporation Line? [ 6 Answers ]

All right. I need advice. I am now 6 days late. I took a FRE pregnancy test last Sunday, it was (-). I took another one 2 days ago, a faint line showed up after 20 minutes. I heard if you took the test apart, an evaporation line WOULD NOT be on the backside of the test strip. Is this true? I...

Evaporation of water [ 3 Answers ]

How the water present in ponds got emptied in summer, without getting the temp of 100 degre centigrade. Plaese explain the phenomenon.

Does backflow affect water pressure [ 2 Answers ]

I'm having trouble with high water pressure on my fire sprinkler system. No one can figure out why. Does the backflow have any thing to do with pressure? That is the only replaceable part besides the gauge. Could something be stuck in the water pipes leading into the house? I am at a loss and so is...

View more questions Search