Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ralbarca Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 06:22 AM
    Microsoft to Lotus Works
    Anybody out there know a quick way of changing spreadsheets & text/word documents to Lotus formats?
    Just got a new system with Microsoft Works/Office however they are trial and the key code they gave me doesn't work so back to good old Lotus123.
    Thanks.
    :mad:
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 06:35 AM
    You can try using the Works 6.0 Converter to convert your file to a more friendly format (.doc) so that your Lotus suite can most likely open it.
    http://www.microsoft.com/Downloads/d...displaylang=en
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2006, 07:06 AM
    Hi,
    This link suggests the following:
    http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=24489
    If you have XP, then go to Add/Remove Programs, and the XP Office Setup, using your Office install CD.
    You have to use the Custom setup; because XP doesn't install the converter on the first installation.
    Hope this helps you, and best of luck.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 07:17 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fredg
    Hi,
    This link suggests the following:
    http://www.anetforums.com/posts.aspx?ThreadIndex=24489
    If you have XP, then go to Add/Remove Programs, and the XP Office Setup, using your Office install CD.
    You have to use the Custom setup; becuase XP doesn't install the converter on the first installation.
    Hope this helps you, and best of luck.
    The user does not have Office XP, he/she has Works as mentioned in the first post.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Mar 21, 2006, 07:25 AM
    You don't say what version of 1-2-3 you have. Some versions can read or import either Excel or Works versions. From 1-2-3 go to File>Import and look on the list of file types. See if any Works or Excel types are listed. You might be able to export to one of those formats or Export to a 1-2-3 format, if you can get into Works or Office at all. At the least, you can export to CSV (comma separated values) which is a universal format.

Most new systems come bundled with a full version of Works, but a trial version of Office. Are you saying both were trials? That's unusual. You also mentioned you were given a key code. By who? If you purchased a system and paid for one of those packages then you should go back to them and tell them to give you a valid keycode.
    fredg Posts: 4,926, Reputation: 674
    Ultra Member

Mar 21, 2006, 07:53 AM
    Microsoft works/office? From the original question.
    Uber Member

Mar 21, 2006, 08:05 AM
    Microsoft works/office? from the original question.
    I'm going with logic here - if it was MS Office they would have mentioned "Office" only, the appearance of the word "Works" means to me that they have seen that word show up and it must be that package otherwise it would not have been mentioned. Also Lotus would not likely have a problem opening .doc files bit would have a problem with .wps files by Works.

Mar 21, 2006, 08:43 AM
    Microsoft works/office? from the original question.
    That's not the point.

Quote Originally Posted by ralbarca
    Anybody out there know a quick way of changing spreadsheets & text/word documents to Lotus formats?
    Just got a new system with Microsoft Works/Office however they are trial and the key code they gave me doesn't work so back to good old Lotus123.
    Thanks.:mad:
    The original question CLEARLY stated changing TO Lotus Formats. The link provided gave instructions on opening 1-2-3 files in Excel.
    Also the fact that the post referred to "Microsoft Works/Office" indicates a confusion as to what they actually have, since those are two different applications. That's why I asked for clarification on the issue in my response.
    ralbarca Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Mar 21, 2006, 12:43 PM
    Sorry - looks like I started a major controversy out there in hyperspace which wasn't my intention.
    Re version of Lotus = 9
    I sat down and created a new master by copying the format from Excel to Lotus then had to go and create all new formulae in lotus.
    While I still prefer Excel I do have a problem in the fact that the disks are floppies and no media on my new system to load them.
    Thanks to all who responded

Mar 21, 2006, 01:42 PM
    First, you didn't start anything. One answer didn't reflect your actual question. Most of us care about the quality of the help that is given here, so, if we see an answer that is incorrect we point it out so the asker doesn't waste time on it. Mistakes happen, none of us are perfect. The right thing to do would have been to apologize for the mistake and move on.

Anyway 1-2-3 ver 9 should read Excel files created in Excel XP or earlier, since XP uses the same format as Excel 97. However, formulas don't always convert well since the function names and actions are not always equivalent.

I'm a little confused. You got a new PC with Excel/Office on floopy? That would be a huge number of disks. Where did you get this new PC from?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Ms works database to ms works spreadsheet [ 2 Answers ]

Have tried copy/paste but I get a message stating "make sure the destination area is as large as the info you wish to paste" .Anyone help please?

Microsoft works database "out of memory"! [ 3 Answers ]

Yo, Anyone know how I can stop the above message coming up, when I try to print, or even print preview, a nodest little database. Really apreciate your help, Perth, Australia:confused:

Need help with Microsoft Works [ 1 Answers ]

I get into my Microsoft works program to write letters and it will not allow me to type anything. It will allow me to type from my numbers pad but that is all it will allow. What is going on with this?

Any body here works for Microsoft [ 3 Answers ]

Well is there lol

Lotus notes mail acess from internet [ 1 Answers ]

At present I am acessing my lotusnotes mail from a dial manager provided by my company.What I will have to do if I want to acess my lotusnotes mails from internet.I am using lotusnotes release 5.

View more questions Search