Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    GerryS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 13, 2007, 11:37 PM
    94 Honda Civic LX CYP Sensor Error, Won't Run Smooth And Car Stutters
    My car's a 1994 Honda Civic LX and has not had any major work done on it other then having my distributor replaced last Summer. It has 160,000 miles on it and has always run fine. Since the engine light has come on my car has began to stutter while waiting at a stop light and while I'm parking.

I took it into a shop and they did a diagnostics test and received a CYP Sensor Error code. He wasn't too sure what to check out without spending some time with the car so he replaced my 02 sensor after sensing a rich smell when the car was running. On a side note, the smell has cleared up after said replacement. He said if the problem persisted then to change the spark plug wires which were still the factory originals. So I did.

While changing the wires I noticed one of them had oil on the bottom, but only one. I then replaced my spark plugs themselves which were due for replacement anyway, and the problem still occurs.

After researching on the web and asking my car savvy relatives and friends, I'm at a fork in the road. Should I take it into a dealer and suffer the labor costs? Is the problem from the oil on my spark plugs related to the stuttering or are they completely different? Should I replace my fuel pump? I'm not a car person at all, so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jun 14, 2007, 08:25 AM
    You need to replace the distributor. There's no way to repair a bad CYP Sensor on Honda distributors. Buy a Honda replacement, not aftermarket. You are lucky you haven't had to do this up to now.
    GerryS Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2007, 02:10 PM
    Well, my distributor was already replaced less than a year ago. Not sure if it was a Honda make or not, but my original has already been replaced.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

2000 Honda Civic knock sensor [ 2 Answers ]

Where is the knock sensor located on the 2000 Honda Civic EX 4D 1.6l (single overhead cam)?

1995 Honda Civic Oxygen Sensor [ 14 Answers ]

Hi. Have decided to replace my Oxygen sensor, but am having a problem getting the old sensor out. (I already have the new sensor). Is very tight space. I am thinking that may be best way to break old sensor, then can put socket wrench on and remove the remaining part. Is this a good thing to do?...

91 honda civic -stutters while driving [ 3 Answers ]

I was wondering if anyone knew the answer to problem I have.My 91 honda civic has been stuttering badly when I take off in first gear and in the beginning of the following gears.I took the head off and found a burnt exhaust valve,replaced it,along with all the valve stem seals,but it still has the...

Honda civic code 9 cyp sensor how to repair [ 1 Answers ]

I got the engine light coming on at different occasions not always, checked and got error 9, as per honda manual I tested the points on connectors for cyp, on male connector, I got right ohmage reading, on female I get a open reading,meaning from one point to ground there is continuity, My...

Oxygen Sensor for 1995 Honda Civic - Problems [ 6 Answers ]

Hi. I have a 1995 Honda Civic LX, with about 120, 000 miles on it. I was experiencing somewhat lower gas mileage and some loss of power (especially on hills) for a while, when my 'Check Engine' light came on and stayed on about 1-2000 miles ago. Checked code, and it pointed to the Oxygen Sensor...

View more questions Search