Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    massplumber2008 Posts: 12,832, Reputation: 1212
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 06:24 AM
    Hi Rhouse:

I'll tell you... age is not as important in determining work needed in home as much as how well built the home is.

For example, the beautiful older homes were built with painstaking detail to quality and workmanship whereas many of the newer homes are not being built to similar standards so will be needing updates more quickly than the older homes... that make sense?

Some of the condominium comlexes they put up in the 80s, for example, are just falling apart from inferior materials and workmanship.

Electrically, older homes that are 25 years or older may or may not need updating. Updating electrically in older homes is usually related to renovations, additions, and remodels not just updating because home is older.

Similarly, plumbing is not usually updated until a kitchen remodeler opens a ceiling and finds that it is best to replace older pipes from upstairs bathroom now then to have a leak occur over new cabinets and hardwood floors, etc. Plumbing work will also usually be done in relation to renovations, additions, and remodels... just like electric.

From here... all contractors are needed to repair/renovate older buildings... depends on work being performed.

A list:

Handyman
    Home inspector
    Pest control persons
    Carpenter
    HVAC contractor
    Siding contractor
    Plasterer
    Painter
    Plumber
    Electrician
    Oil burner technician
    Mason
    Gas fitter
    Flooring contractor (hardwood, carpets, tile, linoleum)
    Roofer/gutters
    A glass repair guy

Also, don't forget the pizza delivery and chinese delivery guys at lunch time. Or the bartender needed after hours!!

Just my opinion, but the bartender is the most important guy on the list!!

Anyway, I'm sure I missed some contractors needed here... but just wanted to present my thoughts.

Let me know if want to discuss more...

MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Aug 31, 2008, 01:20 PM
    What kind of research are you doing? I've read several of your research questions today and am curious.
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 1, 2008, 11:08 AM
    Rhouse...

Please answer Ballenger's question. I am also curious as to what you are doing?

Thanks...

MARK
    Senior Plumbing Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 04:46 PM
    Looks like RHOUSE deleted all his posts Bob..?

BOB... can you delete this whole thread? It looks like I am asking the question and answering myself..? Personally, I reserve the right to do that... but usually keep it in the privacy of my own home/car, etc... ;)

Let me know.. OK?

MARK
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Sep 2, 2008, 06:14 PM
    We need to pass this question on up the line. Only administrators can delete a post so I suspect RHOUSE was a rouse.
    rhouse30 Posts: 306, Reputation: 1

Sep 2, 2008, 07:28 PM
    I hope I am replying correctly using the correct tab.

For my research purposes for my job, I was told that in trying to take care of a customer
    Needs who may be calling in for work done, it could be for any reason (plumbing, puttting
    Up ceiling fans). To be able to cross sell to see what other contractors they might need,
    One question to ask is how old is their house. For example a person may have a toilet leak that requires a plummer to come out, but their might be damage done to the floor, that requires contractor that will repair the floor.

I am trying to understand how one job relate to the other or might enhance the other.

I need help in understanding that. I know if it older (I don't know how old) they do say
    It may need some type of inspections.

If you can elaborate on what older houses may need (how old) They may need inspections and(what type) or whatever common and not so common contractor work may be needed)

I guess newer home may need other contractors work perhaps decorating, or whatever
    Scenarios you see.

Any tips will be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Will a relationship with a man 24 years older work? [ 6 Answers ]

I am 32 years old and pregnant for my 55 year old boyfriend. We live together. He has a reputation for being unfaithful and I do not trust him. How do I handle this? What should I do?:confused:

Softwares needed to work on ASP [ 2 Answers ]

Dear sir, I would like to know the software required for working on a project in ASP. I have XP professional as the operating system. Will I be able to view the project in internet explorer, like the way I see on the internet? Also, tell me about personal server installation.

Two wire ungrounded systen in older homes [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , wife and I live in her mothers house now, it is a two wire ungrounded system throughout. She had someone come in and wire it with grounds, not everything had grounds but half of it did after he was done rewiring it, but the city inspector came through to look at it and said it was a fire...

Older Software Won't Work On Win XP Pro [ 13 Answers ]

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hi guys, Speedball1 from the Plumbing Page here. I have a bunch of flight simulations left over from my old computer that are Win 95 programs. Is there a way I can load and install them on a Win XP Pro platform...

Older Software Won't Work On Win XP Pro [ 1 Answers ]

Hi guys, Speedball1 from the Plumbing Page here. I have a bunch of flight simulations left over from my old computer that are Win 95 programs. Is there a way I can load and install them on a Win XP Pro platform and make them work? I've gone into propertys and did the compatibility thing. No...

View more questions Search