Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    jordii Posts: 28, Reputation: 3

Apr 24, 2013, 07:18 PM
    Tipping

I have a bit of a pet peeve regarding tipping.

I am a little tired of the assumption that you must tip when you eat out. Why do we pay people for doing their jobs? In the past when this subject has come up among friends the typical answer is because the industry works that way or because servers have a low hourly wage and tipping is expected as part of their wages.

The thing is; I work in a minimum wage retail job and while my customer service is very good, I do not get tipped for it. Why are servers any different and why should I have to budget my hard earned wages to allow for tipping. Am I expected to stay home or only go to fast food restaurants because I don't want to tip. Why should I feel pressured to play by ridiculous, long established guidelines.
    odinn7 Posts: 7,691, Reputation: 1547
    Entomology Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 07:22 PM
    "Servers" generally don't even make minimum wage.

You don't want to tip? Then don't tip.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 07:29 PM
    I used to work as a waitress, the most detestable, lowest-paid, thankless job I ever had. I now tip very generously.
    Alty Posts: 28,317, Reputation: 5972
    Pets Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 10:28 PM
    From what I understand, in the US serving staff don't even make minimum wage.

That's not the case where I live, Canada. Here you cannot pay anyone below minimum wage, and the minimum wage is almost $10/hr. So, wait staff get paid minimum wage no matter what sort of customer service they provide. As a result, if I don't get great service, I don't tip, and I don't feel bad about it, as I worked for minimum wage in retail, provided exceptional customer service, but sadly didn't work in an industry were tips are allowed.

I've had a few friends that worked as servers. One was a friend that also worked with me in Insurance, a long time ago. She made $40,000 a year net working insurance, and actually quit that job to be a waitress full time, because she made more than double the money waiting tables part time than she did working full time in insurance, all because of tips.

So, if you're in the US, I would say that tipping is expected, as these people are working well below minimum wage which you know isn't enough to survive on. But, if you're in Canada, judge based on the service provided.
    J_9 Posts: 40,298, Reputation: 5646
    Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 11:05 PM
    Yeah, I hate tipping too. These waiters and waitresses don't need any more than the $2.75 per hour that they get waiting tables. In this economy it's possible this is the only job they can come by. I don't feel that it's my responsibility to spend my hard earned dollars that I earn in an airconditioned hospital with all the creature comforts I could ask for, to help these people out who work under horrible conditions with virtually no pay at all. Who cares if they have children to raise? Who cares if they are a displaced professional and are about to lose their home because this is the only job they can get?

While you are at it, not tipping them, why don't you just blame them because your food isn't cooked perfectly to your order. You know, they didn't cook it, the chef's did (and chef's make considerably more an hour than wait staff does), but it is the waiter/waitresses fault, right?

**Sarcasm font disengaged**

So go back to your minimum wage job and realize that some people work a he! Of a lot harder than you do, with a he! Of a lot less pay, and a he! Of a lot of disprespect by people like you.

**Clunk. Off my soapbox.**
    Expert

Apr 24, 2013, 11:18 PM
    I work in a minimum wage retail job and while my customer service is very good, I do not get tipped for it.
    I have an idea. Why don't you ask your boss to start paying you $2.75 an hour (an average hourly pay for a server) and see if you can live off that without tips!
    Expert

Apr 25, 2013, 02:32 AM
    I mis spoke. The minimum wage for waiters and waitresses is some States is as low as $2.13 an hour.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 25, 2013, 03:19 AM
    First, where did you get the assumption that you "must" tip? The idea of tipping in the services industry arises because there is not a viable alternative to gauging good service. It also gives people in the service industry an incentive to "do their job".

In your industry there are other measures so you can be paid regular wages. Tipping is part of the cost of being served. So yes, if you want to eat at a full service restaurant, then you do budget in for tips. If you are unhappy with the service you get, then reflect that in your tip.

Apr 26, 2013, 04:32 PM
    Not sure if I have an answer or not but thanks for the input.
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 05:11 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by jordii View Post
    Not sure if I have an answer or not but thanks for the input.
    After reading the posts, I think the answer is;

If you can't afford to tip, don't go to a full service restaurant where part of their wage is tips.

Don't want to tip, go to McDonalds, where it's not full service, and tips aren't expected. :)

Apr 26, 2013, 05:16 PM
    Not sure that is a viable answer.
    Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 05:22 PM
    What kind of answer would you like?
    Pets Expert

Apr 26, 2013, 05:24 PM
    Not sure that is a viable answer.
    What answer were you looking for?

Tips are a part of a waiter or waitresses wage. Could you live on a little over $3 an hour? If you can, then don't tip. If you can't, think about the service, the amount of work it takes to wait on a table, and tip accordingly.

Do you have to tip? No. No one is forcing you to. But you're paying for a service that they're not being paid for based on wage alone. At least in the US.

Let's put it this way. If you were a waiter making only the base wage, no tips, would you be able to pay for living expenses? Obviously you make enough that you can afford to eat out. Isn't it just common decency to insure that the people that have theses jobs, and work their butts off (waiting tables isn't an easy job) to do these jobs, should at least be able to make enough to afford a roof over their head, and the occasional bowl of ramen?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Apr 27, 2013, 12:41 AM
    Tipping is of course not a custom in all countries, There is no tipping at all here in China, they will not even take it. (unless you are in a more tourist area)

But in US, as noted, tips are expected to make up the balance of the waiters money. They are paid less than min wage, often less than 1/2 min wage.

Now I only tip for good service in US,
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2013, 01:39 AM
    I am floored that after hearing that minimum wage for servers in the US is way below regular minimum wage (it is set by each state), and tipping is not compulsory, you are still saying that you 'aren't sure you have an answer' or 'not sure it's a viable answer.'

The burden is now on you to provide a rationale.

Apr 27, 2013, 05:13 AM
    I don't live in the U.S. I live in Canada so we don't have that set-up here.

Our servers make approx. $8.00+ depending on the province. Service here varies greatly and since I only make approx. $11.00 per hour myself a server here will easily make far more than me even if they work part-time which plenty of them do.

I had no idea that in the States the minimum wage for servers is so low which explains why the service is so much better in that industry. Very noticeable when we vacation there.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Apr 27, 2013, 06:40 AM
    What a server gets in tips varies widely anywhere. Some have to pool tips and split them among busboys and dishwashers. Keep in mind too that while you may be in a restaurant during the usual hours customers are eating, there are hours when the servers are cleaning and setting tables, lean hours when few diners are there, and so on.
    Let's say at peak times a server waits on 5 tables with about $250 worth of food an hour and gets 15%, or $37. Let's say there are 3 peak hours out of 8, and the other 5 he gets $33 total, for a $70 a day (think how many people are eating at 3 pm if he works 3 to 11) or $8.75/hr. Let's say all 10 servers have to give 5% each split among 5 non-wait staff, so they get 10% each, and now his tip is closer to $8. So on top of his $2.50/hr, he's getting about $8. About what you make or less! They aren't exactly known for vacation time, holidays, and health plans.
    I made that up and of course restaurants vary a LOT.
    (And I'm still using a US scenario.)
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Apr 27, 2013, 09:04 AM
    Our servers make approx. $8.00+ depending on the province. Service here varies greatly and since I only make approx. $11.00 per hour myself a server here will easily make far more than me even if they work part-time which plenty of them do.
    I don't think you can say "will" make more, but the potential seems to be there.

But this goes back to what you originally said. Tipping is not required, it's a comment on the quality of service.

But even if a server does wind up making more than you. Clearly, different jobs have different earning rates. Tipping is a standard in service industries and, if you choose to use those services, you need to budget tips in. But you tip to reflect the service you received.
    Pets Expert

Apr 27, 2013, 01:33 PM
    I don't live in the U.S. I live in Canada so we don't have that set-up here.

I had no idea that in the States the minimum wage for servers is so low which explains why the service is so much better in that industry. Very noticeable when we vacation there.
    I mentioned in my first post, very early on in this thread, that I'm from Canada, and what the minimum wage is here, and that servers in Canada receive at least minimum wage.

Why didn't you mention then, that you're also from Canada? You never mentioned it once. That would have been valuable information to have, especially since I mentioned it early on. You could have said "I'm in Canada too", especially when the wage for servers in the US was mentioned ad nauseum. Instead you decided to be snide in your comments, stating that you didn't think you had a viable answer.

I'm really not believing that you're in Canada. You mentioned that the minimum wage where you live is $8/hr. I can't find a single province where the minimum wage is that low. The lowest I found is in Alberta and the minimum wage there is $9.75/hr.

Apr 28, 2013, 02:50 PM
    OMG woman; why are you so combative in every post you do.

Read my post; it says that the approx minimum wage for servers where I live is $8.00; not the general minimum wage. This is the second time you haven't read something I have posted correctly and then commented incorrectly.

I do live in Canada but I sure hope it isn't in the same province or even time zone as you!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Tipping [ 9 Answers ]

So I am now three weeks away from my wedding. We have everything lined up. I am hoping for nice weather as I am having at my brothers home. We have a tent but I am hoping the weather is nice so we do not have to use the sides.The ceremony and dinner reception are at the same location. The...

Tipping the boss [ 4 Answers ]

I would like to know if it is proper etiquette not to tip your hairdresser if she is the owner? I am a regular client (WEEKLY) and do not feel that I should tip her because she owns the place. She is the one making the prices and so on. I will, however, tip her if she does me a favor like squeeze...

Tipping in Salons [ 1 Answers ]

So normally when I get my hair cut I leave a decent tip (I have really long hair) but this time when I'm going to the salon I'm getting a haircut, chemical treatments, and I am also getting my eyebrows shaped. The haircut is about $60, the chemical treatment is about $25, and the eyesbrows are...

Tipping etiquette [ 14 Answers ]

Hello Everyone, I went to a hair salon and had my hair straightened.. I paid $300 plus $70 tip.. 3 days later my hair was wavy again so I had the stylist re-do it . She didn't charge me for the service again but she did charge me for the hair supplies which came to $25.00. Should I have tipped...

Tipping [ 6 Answers ]

Should I tip the guy installing carpet at my house. If so, how much? He doesn't own the business, he's the installer for the company from which I purchased the carpet.

View more questions Search