Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    zanec Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jan 24, 2011, 08:45 AM
    Using wife's 401k to invest into a home for me?
    My wife and I are divorcing and she wanted to give me some of her 401k from work to help me invest into buying a home. Is that legal and can we do that?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 08:48 AM

The tax hit and penalties are going to be high for early withdrawl of that money.
    zanec Posts: 26, Reputation: 3

Jan 24, 2011, 08:54 AM

Even if it's invested into real estate?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2011, 08:57 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by zanec View Post
    Even if it's invested into real estate?
    Doesn't matter... the rules (actually laws) for withdrawl and/or investment 401K money are VERY specific.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 24, 2011, 09:45 AM

Assuming that the transfer of your wife's 401(k) to you is properly defined by a Qualified Domestic Relations Order (QDRO) from the divorce court, you wife pays no penalties or taxes in transferring a portion of the account to you.

If you receive the transfer in cash, and do not roll it to a tax-sheltered account (like an IRA), you will pay income tax on it. But NOT the 10% early withdrawal penalty.

BTW - generally upon divorce the value of the 401(k) vlaue that was accumulated during marriage is splt between the two parties. In community property states the account gets split down the middle. So while you wrote that your wife is wanting to give you some of her account, by rights you should be getting up to half of it - it has nothing to do with her "wanting " to give it to you.

Here is a helpful article for you: 401(k) and Divorce

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Invest in 401k in the down market [ 4 Answers ]

Hello, I just started work in a large company and I am intesrested in invest in 401k although I am still young (21). My compnay matches 75 cents for a dollar I contribute up to 6%, what is the best way for me to contribute in the down market? How do I allocate all the investment in 401K? ...

Should I continue to invest in 401K ? [ 5 Answers ]

The stock market has been so disappointing,we keep hearing bad news in economies.should I continue to put my money into 401K ? Will my money in 401K be Shrunk ? If 401k is still best way for building nest egg for retirement, how should I Allocate the money ? I will have 10 - 11 year to...

Should I invest in 401K? [ 1 Answers ]

Hello, I am on a H1B visa and am planning to return back to my country in a couple of years. I have been investing in 401K since my employment. I would like to know if this investment will be valid or do I just forefeit the money when I leave the country. If it will be of no use, is there...

View more questions Search