Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    nipunkohli Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Sep 11, 2006, 06:53 AM
    Tax on L1 Visa
    Hi all,

I am from India and going to US for 3 year , for this financial year I will be in US for 3 months (90 days) , as my period is 90 days (less than 90 days) do I need to pay tax or even if I pay tax will I get the tax back as return.

Please advice.

Cheers,
    Nipun
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Sep 12, 2006, 06:27 PM
    You will be taxed on a dual-status basis for the first year. You have the option to file as a non-resident alien, and that may make more sense because it is simpler.

How much tax you pay depends on how much you make in the 3-month period.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

F1 to H1 Visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hi WHich tax form do u file my visa status changed from f1 to h1 on January 1, 2005 and I have been on the h1 this past year. Do I fill a 1040NR-ez or 1040-ez

H4 Visa Tax [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have been on H1B visa since June 2004. Before that I was on F1 visa from 2001 to 2004. I got married in May 2005 and my wife came to US on H4 visa in July 2005. She has not been working. I understand that I will have to apply with form W7 to get ITIN for my wife as she is not eligible for...

Federal Forms for a F1 Visa to H1 VISA [ 5 Answers ]

I understand many people are in the same boat and I am also in the Same boat as all. Let me present my case and have it clear understanding for all First I was on OPT status from 1st January 2004 to 13th Oct 2004. I changed my status from F1 -> H1B on 14th Oct 2004. Hence my status from 14th...

View more questions Search